pairing multiple bikes and 1 computer (Garmin 520)

bicyclenut

pairing multiple bikes and 1 computer (Garmin 520)

Post by bicyclenut »

Hi,

I originally paired my (wireless, magnet-less) speed and cadence sensors with the PowerPod and a Garmin 520. Bike 1 ... no problem (other than the handle bar mount was too big, car heater hose fixed that), the PP/520 pairing worked great!

I decided that I'd like to use the PP on a second bike. I went into the Isaac software; created a second bike profile, and loaded it onto the PP. I then paired a different set of speed and cadence sensors to the PP. I turned on my 520 (same one for both bikes); the 520 recognized the speed and cadence, but not the PP. I tried powering off/on the 520 (didn't work); I allowed all peripherals to got to "sleep" and powering all on again with no success. I then removed PP from the 520, re-paired the 520 and PP. I had no further problems. Calibrated fine, ride data no problem.

You are (most likely) familiar with the Garmin 520, but, just in case ... In a 520 there are no separate bicycle profiles. The 520 recognizes a different bike based on the speed and cadence sensors on it & all the sensors are grouped in 1 menu, not separated by bike

My question/quandary is:

Will I need to re-pair the PP and 520 again when I switch back to Bike 1?
-If so that's not very user friendly; would I address that with PP or Garmin?
Do I need to go into Isaac prior to my ride to tell the PP I'm riding Bike 1?
-If so that's not very user friendly either; can we fix that?
If I understood the manual correctly I shouldn't have to take a new calibration ride when I switch between bikes ... correct?

Thanks in advance.

Tony (aka Bicyclenut)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: pairing multiple bikes and 1 computer (Garmin 520)

Post by Velocomp »

I'd like to help you with your Garmin settings but I really think this is a Garmin question. I don't have detailed knowledge of how their pairing system works...

After creating your second bike profile in Isaac (for example, in profile 2), you will need to do a PP sensor pairing for your second bike. Make sure you are far, far away from your bike 1, so that PP will find your bike 2 sensors only!

After doing the sensor pairing for bike 2 you will need to do a one-time calibration ride with bike 2.

After that, it's easy:

1) Put PP on the bike you plan to ride (either bike 1 or bike 2)

2) Make sure the bike sensors from your un-used bike are asleep

3) Wake up the sensors on the bike you're going to ride today

4) Wake up PP. PP will search for the sensors, and when it finds them, it will automatically switch to the profile that has those sensors in them.

You won't have to connect PP to Isaac to tell it which bike you're riding!

Also, you don't have to repeat the calibration ride when switching bikes; the calibration information is stored in the profile.
John Hamann
blorg

Post by blorg »

I don't have an Garmin Edge 520 but I do have an 800 and a 1000.

The 800 is older and has the bike profile thing- so I need to pair the PowerPod individually with each bike profile.

The 1000 is newer and ditches the bike profiles, it just pairs with what it can find. I think this is the same as how your 520 works. With the 1000, I do not have to specifically pair the PowerPod with any particular bike profile. The newer Garmins do not have any internal conception of a bike profile that it pairs specific sensor groups to either, it will just connect to whatever sensors are in the vicinity. I name my sensors in the 1000 by the bike they are on to help debug this.

So with the 1000 I just pair the PowerPod once, and then it will automatically pop up on the 1000 no matter what bike I am using it with. This is just from the Garmin point of view- I do of course have to pair the PowerPod individually with the different bike speed sensors. If the 520 works the same way as my 1000, and I think it does, you should be able to switch it around and it should just pick up the PowerPod whatever bike you are on, and the PowerPod will automatically switch profile based on the sensor.

I would suggest maybe just to check on the Garmin the sensor ID on the PowerPod and make a note of that. Then check back and see if it is still recorded correctly in your Garmin when you are having issues pairing. Also check the sensor IDs of the speed/cadence sensors and check them in Issac on the bike profiles. You will be able to directly verify the right ones match IF your ID is below 65,535. If it is over that it gets a bit more complicated.

Another tip, I turn the PowerPod on outside, when it is not near any other bikes, so it doesn't get confused about which one.

Bear in mind that the PowerPod itself will not pop up on the Garmin until it itself finds a speed sensor. So I would lean towards this more likely being the issue, something up with the pairing between the PowerPod and the sensors. It is a bit of a faff to get it paired and calibrated the first time with each extra bike but once you have it done the first time it is pretty painless thereafter.

When you have this right, and it paired with all your bikes with a different profile for each, you should be able to just put the PowerPod on whichever bike, wake it up and go ride, and it will select the correct profile and connect to the Garmin. You don't have to recalibrate or manually change the profile.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blorg wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 am I don't have an Garmin Edge 520 but I do have an 800 and a 1000.

The 800 is older and has the bike profile thing- so I need to pair the PowerPod individually with each bike profile.

The 1000 is newer and ditches the bike profiles, it just pairs with what it can find. I think this is the same as how your 520 works. With the 1000, I do not have to specifically pair the PowerPod with any particular bike profile. The newer Garmins do not have any internal conception of a bike profile that it pairs specific sensor groups to either, it will just connect to whatever sensors are in the vicinity. I name my sensors in the 1000 by the bike they are on to help debug this.

So with the 1000 I just pair the PowerPod once, and then it will automatically pop up on the 1000 no matter what bike I am using it with. This is just from the Garmin point of view- I do of course have to pair the PowerPod individually with the different bike speed sensors. If the 520 works the same way as my 1000, and I think it does, you should be able to switch it around and it should just pick up the PowerPod whatever bike you are on, and the PowerPod will automatically switch profile based on the sensor.

I would suggest maybe just to check on the Garmin the sensor ID on the PowerPod and make a note of that. Then check back and see if it is still recorded correctly in your Garmin when you are having issues pairing. Also check the sensor IDs of the speed/cadence sensors and check them in Issac on the bike profiles. You will be able to directly verify the right ones match IF your ID is below 65,535. If it is over that it gets a bit more complicated.

Another tip, I turn the PowerPod on outside, when it is not near any other bikes, so it doesn't get confused about which one.

Bear in mind that the PowerPod itself will not pop up on the Garmin until it itself finds a speed sensor. So I would lean towards this more likely being the issue, something up with the pairing between the PowerPod and the sensors. It is a bit of a faff to get it paired and calibrated the first time with each extra bike but once you have it done the first time it is pretty painless thereafter.

When you have this right, and it paired with all your bikes with a different profile for each, you should be able to just put the PowerPod on whichever bike, wake it up and go ride, and it will select the correct profile and connect to the Garmin. You don't have to recalibrate or manually change the profile.

This is a very nice post. Thank you for your tips!
John Hamann