Check O&B calibration ride with PowerStroke please?

munkster

Check O&B calibration ride with PowerStroke please?

Post by munkster »

Hi there guys, can you take a look at my calibration file and let me know if I've done it right??

Some bugger decided to pull out on me JUST as I was getting to halfway so was concerned I was drafting but it doesn't seem to have shown up.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I have just set up PowerStroke on there as well, but wasn't sure where to say the cadence meter is, since it is the one that is just on the crank arm, nothing on the chainstay
Attachments
iBike_08_31_2018_1653_1_km_HiDef.ibr
(22.95 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Check O&B calibration ride with PowerStroke please?

Post by Velocomp »

Looks OK but the ride file is pretty short...
John Hamann
munkster

Post by munkster »

Isn't that the point though? I rode out until the power reading went to 50, turned round, and came back until it went to 100 and then thought that that was the O&B calibration process??

What was I meant to have done different?

Also, what about the cadence meter position for PowerStroke purposes?

Thanks!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is not your calibration file; we no longer record cal rides. This is the short ride you did AFTER your calibration.

Set cadence to above the chain stay.
John Hamann
munkster

Post by munkster »

Thanks.

How do I check that setting after the initial setup of PowerStroke please? I am pretty sure I chose the first option but cannot remember which one that was!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The default setting is above the chain stay, so you really don't have to do anything... :-)
John Hamann
munkster

Post by munkster »

OK, just for my own information, will it make any/much difference if I have set it to the other position? I really can't remember...
munkster

Post by munkster »

OK. Done an actual ride today, can you take a look at this please?

I am perturbed that the cadence drop out issue I've had before still happens, this is a new cadence meter, with a new battery... There is no loss of cadence data in the other places I've got my ride uploaded to.

Any comments on the calibration etc and the PowerStroke you can provide would be helpful as well...
Attachments
iBike_09_02_2018_0901_79_km_HiDef.ibr
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 165 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) What cadence sensor did you attach?

2) By any chance, are you riding near TV/microwave towers where cadence drops out?

3) Do a hard reset of PP, then post the next ride file.

I agree this is a frustrating mystery.
John Hamann
munkster

Post by munkster »

1) Garmin magnetless (the latest type)

2) Not to my knowledge, and the 10km stretch where it lost the cadence is almost parallel (within a few km) to another part of the ride where the cadence wasn't lost. There *are* antennae later in the ride but there is no loss of cadence then.

3) Do I really have to? Again? I have only just had this unit back after a repair from you, was it hard reset then? If I do a hard reset how do I get the profile back on it? Do I have to do another calibration? I would really really rather not, basically.

Frustrating yes. My only thought is to try a different cadence sensor (Wahoo?) but that's another £30 yet again.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The Garmin sensor is great, and in our experience is better than Wahoo.

Have you encountered this problem on any of your prior rides?
John Hamann
munkster

Post by munkster »

My cycling has taken a back seat this year so I have barely looked at my PowerPod stuff and I don't think my cadence meter was paired for a while for some reason but I had this issue before, I posted about it a few times in the forum and it was never resolved. I tried to "reset" my old cadence meter by flipping the battery round at your suggestion and all that did was kill the thing, so I had to buy a new one. It's getting expensive now...

The Wahoo cadence sensor permits fixing it to the top of your shoe, I was wondering if that would help in making the sensor more "visible" to the PP?

Either way, I've paid for PowerStroke and it *appears* that the PP is not going to be able to make full use of it if the PP isn't picking up the cadence meter consistently.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I'm not sure what is going wrong here. Please keep track of this and post some ride files from future rides.
John Hamann
munkster

Post by munkster »

OK, posting the next ride. This is "all change" because I have bought Wahoo sensors now (and the cadence sensor is attached to the strap on my shoe so fewer obstructions) plus on a different (but very similar) bike.

How does this ride file look?

Also, my PowerStroke animation look unnervingly good but am not sure if I am misinterpreting it. Can you look at that if possible??

Thanks.
Attachments
iBike_09_09_2018_1408_45_km_HiDef.ibr
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 152 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yup, those are Wahoo sensors...they work, but they are "noisy".

Your ride file looks fine.

I am uncertain about your PowerStroke information. PowerStroke requires timing information from the cadence sensor. I don't know how the Wahoo Shoe Cadence sensor works. If it does not provide timing signals, then PS won't work properly.
John Hamann
munkster

Post by munkster »

The shoe cadence sensor is just the regular cadence sensor mounted on the shoe... It's not a different product if that's what you're thinking? Are you familiar with the regular Wahoo cadence sensor?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I see more variability in the cadence sensor when mounted on the shoe.

I'm not saying it cannot work; I'm saying only that we did not design for this application.
John Hamann