How long should my PP keep charge for?

warbs

How long should my PP keep charge for?

Post by warbs »

Hello,

Usually I keep my bike in my garage and fully charge the PP after every ride, about twice a week. Right now I’m on holiday and my bike is only getting ridden once a week, So I’m charging it after a ride and then maybe not using it for a week. On two occasions now my garmin has indicated charge is low accompanied by red flashing light...

How long should the PP stay charged when not in use? It seems massively different from every other rechargeable device I own...

I’ve had the PP since March and really rate it, but this isn’t the first time I’ve had surprises about it holding charge.

What are other people’s experiences?

Chris
FrankH

Re: How long should my PP keep charge for?

Post by FrankH »

My experience: I'd left my PowerPod connected to my laptop until it was fully charged then left it disconnected for about 10 days before my next ride and it was dead. Like you, I was surprised at how quickly it lost its charge. I then connected it to a USB charger and my next ride was fine except it had lost its time and date info. So that's something to bear in mind, if it does die you'll need to connect it to Isaac to reset the time and date.

I now keep it connected to the USB charger when it's not in use.
posh

Post by posh »

i usually download the ride file after every ride, so eventually it just get it charge. And if i didn't use PP for more than 3 days, i will just charge for about 30minutes before the ride, just in case the battery has depleted.

I did encounter red flashing light once when i forgot to charge, and can last for my 2-3 hours ride because when i end my ride, it is still flashing red and my ride file is still intact.
raider

Post by raider »

I'm also interested to know this. Any estimated time with the PP off ?? any plan to improve it? I would expect that a turn off device to keep charge for months, not days.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

PowerPod draws battery power even when it is "off"--because it is not really off. In fact, it is still on, at least to the extent needed so that it will become fully functional when its button is pushed.

Starting from a full charge, in the off state the battery will go about 15-20 days.
John Hamann
warbs

Post by warbs »

Thanks for all the replies', it's good to know my PP is behaving normally.
I'll add an extra long charging lead to my spares :)

Cheers

Chris
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:52 pm ...
Starting from a full charge, in the off state the battery will go about 15-20 days.
My experience is about half that. Mine went from fully charged to dead in less than 10 days.

I.e. It was fully charged, then 10 days later it was dead. It's not a problem now because I keep it permanently connected to a USB charger but I think your estimate is very optimistic.
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

Pro PP Tip (for various definitions of "pro")

instead of dismounting PP each time, I use a power bank (anker 10000 mah ) to charge it on the bike a couple times a week

was actually wondering if it could operate and be charged at same time as i lash (strechy corner elastic things) the spare battery under my phone holder for longer rides

for future upgrades have it broadcast battery charge via bluetooth like wireless BT headphones do #velecomp.will.make.our.lives.easier :-)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

BLE is disabled when PP is being charged.

In a firmware update earlier this year, we added battery charge level to ANT+ communication.
John Hamann
flysplat

Post by flysplat »

How do I view the battery charge level through an ANT+ connection?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The firmware release notes, available in Isaac, provide the answer, but I've attached them here for convenience
Attachments
Firmware Release Notes_PUBLIC_092018.pdf
(318.76 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
John Hamann
flysplat

Post by flysplat »

Is there a way to see how much charge is left in the battery either in Isaac or on Garmin computer?

Sorry noticed reply.

Answer given in fw release notes.