Weird readings

Frank TTC

Weird readings

Post by Frank TTC »

Most start of any ride (though having calibrated the device) the watt readings are far beyond I am able to produce. Sometimes up to 3300 watts.
Only after half an hour the readings drop to a more acceptable level or even 0 for minutes.
The variation in readings ( 3sec interval) is normally between 35 and 300 watts. Very hard to know what wattage my effort really is.
Just the slightest movement on the unit makes the readings utterly useless for minutes.
After pausing my ride it will take 5-10 minutes before the readings come up again.

Positive side: it is difficult to remove the unit and rip it off the bike.
What could cause this behavior and how can I fix this.
regards
Frank
Knipsel.JPG
Knipsel.JPG (31.18 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Weird readings

Post by Velocomp »

Please post the .ibr ride file of this file.

Also, please post photos showing how the unit is mounted on your bike: top, side and front views.

Is your PP solidly attached, such that it cannot rotate AT ALL when bumped?
John Hamann
Frank TTC

Post by Frank TTC »

optical it looked inline with the upper tube, the level however showed 12 degrees offset :oops:
I will put it exact 0 degrees, recalibrate and ride some rides.

(wasn't 20 degrees acceptable ? )

No action needed before
Attachments
velocomp side.jpeg
velocomp side.jpeg (129.92 KiB) Viewed 4971 times
velocomp frontal.jpeg
velocomp frontal.jpeg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 4971 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This looks OK. Does the PP rotate AT ALL if you push on it? If so, it is not tightly enough attached.

Please post the .ibr ride file from Isaac.
John Hamann
Speedyg

Post by Speedyg »

Same behavior here. After having PP working for the last 6 months with some flaky readings now and then, I’ve calibrated it on two bikes and it seemed to do as advertised, sensing the second bike automatically. Then one fine morning, as I’m about to do my epic 70 miler, no readings at all, despite having been plugged in and charged, and can’t force a recal no matter what even pressing button for more than 4sec. V frustrating. Tried a number of button presses again and then suddenly thousands of watts and slowly coming down to numbers way below the effort I was putting out giving me a 90 W average in a ride which I know well was a 145 or so. I was really up on PP but now feel that it’s unreliable and am at a loss what to do.

Not happy
Speedyg

Post by Speedyg »

Any love from or comment from Velocomp here would be greatly appreciated. Here are the ride files where the PP went nuts and initially showed way too high numbers then ended up with numbers that were really really low for the effort I put in (should have been about a 140-145W average). And the date was set wrong - to 7/20/18. What's up with that??

Thanks for any help.

Jim
Attachments
iBike_08_05_2018_0549_35_Miles.ibr
(386.71 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
iBike_08_05_2018_0011_33_Miles.ibr
(414.52 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

0545 ride:

1) your PP was bumped at the 14 minute mark.

2) it looks like your wind sensor was obstructed around the 1:45 mark. Were you riding in rain/mist, or did you draft?

0011 ride

1) PP recalibrafed itself during the first 90 seconds

2) the rest of the ride looks OK

If your date was 7/20 this means either you did a hard-reset of the unit, or your battery was dead. When either happens the date/time in PP is lost until you reconnect it to Isaac
John Hamann
Speedyg

Post by Speedyg »

Appreciate the response John. Actually the unit was totally charged (anxious about not being charged for the big ride) and no drafting and no obstruction. (Don't mean to sound like an orange haired political figure). But how do you explain the second bump to over a thousand watts? Seems really weird and gives the feeling that I can't trust the device. I bought it for the purpose of being able to use it on two bikes without having to buy a Power Meter for both.But if I can't trust it, it's a power meter for neither.

What to do??
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, I meant to comment on that but forgot.

On the 0549 ride, at the 15 minute mark, your PP was knocked out of position. It was pushed up, skyward, causing watts to go crazy-high until the automatic tilt correction fixed things about 90 seconds later.

Make sure your PP is solidly attached and can't be rotated. That should fix things.
John Hamann