2 Quick questions

Phenderson

2 Quick questions

Post by Phenderson »

I have been using the Powerpod on my fatbike for several months, everything is working well. I've got some long races coming up in the next two months, and am looking for advice. The races are generally 20-30+ hours, in temps that could be down to -20/30, and I have to carry a bunch of gear, like sleeping bag, Bivy, Sleeping pad, etc, which usually ends up on my handlebars. So, two questions:
1. Since the Powerpod needs airflow, I'm guessing it won't be very happy behind a sleeping bag, ideas on alternative mounts? I tried to invert it on top of my handlebars, it didn't like that much...
2. Since the races are pretty long, I don't know that a single charge will make it through the entire race. Will the Powerpod work while charging, or do I just need to run it until it dies and then recharge on the bike.

Thanks for any ideas,
Phil
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: 2 Quick questions

Post by Velocomp »

1. Yes, you will need a clear view of the air. If you're a bit handy, you could possibly fashion a Remote Wind Sensor tube, that snakes around your handlebars to a place where you can get a clear view of the air. See this link for an idea about RWS for Newton:

https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/prod ... ind-sensor

We don't make an RWS for PowerPod, but if you get the right-size tube, and securely attach the tube to the wind port of the PP (maybe with putty of some kind), then you will likely be able to get things working. Of course, you'll need to do an out-and-back cal ride with your special arrangement.

2. PP does not run while charging. That said, you should be able to charge your PP during rest breaks. The battery recharges pretty quickly, so hopefully this will be sufficient.
John Hamann
Phenderson

Post by Phenderson »

Perfect - exactly what I needed - thanks!
Phil
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Velocomp wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 am See this link for an idea about RWS for Newton:

Hi again,

this time I am hunting for a RWS for my rusty, but perfectly working Newton+.

The link you shared years ago does not work any longer.

Does it mean that you completely out of stock, or do you have some still? Or accidently do some of your distributors have (preferably in Europe to avoid brutal shipping costs)?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Zoltan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:20 am
Velocomp wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 am See this link for an idea about RWS for Newton:

Hi again,

this time I am hunting for a RWS for my rusty, but perfectly working Newton+.

The link you shared years ago does not work any longer.

Does it mean that you completely out of stock, or do you have some still? Or accidently do some of your distributors have (preferably in Europe to avoid brutal shipping costs)?
It's great to hear your Newton is going strong (I have one too that I use every day...)

Please email tgore@velocomp.com for availability. If we've got one we will figure out an inexpensive way to ship it to you.
John Hamann