Only showing 0 watts after changing cadence battery

lambrettaman

Only showing 0 watts after changing cadence battery

Post by lambrettaman »

I changed my cadence battery last week and since then, my PowerPod seems to have forgotten something and only shows zero watts on my Fenix 5x. Was all fine before that. The cadence sensor works fine.

How do I fix it?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Only showing 0 watts after changing cadence battery

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...are you sure the cadence sensor is working? You can confirm this by looking at your bike computer and confirming that cadence is shown.

If you DO see cadence, then perform a new pairing (press-hold PP button for 4 seconds, until it flashes).

That should fix things.
John Hamann
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

OK.

I re-paired the PowerPod flowwing steps 4A through 4D on the instructions sheet. Nice steady green light. Then things got weird.

FIrst my cadence displayed 65335 (or some combo of those digits) and power displayed 0

After a few minutes, the cadence started registering my actual cadence, but power displayed 0

Then I showed 7 watts for a while.

Then I showed 1 watt.

Then back to 0 watts.

This was a little over an hour long 22 mile ride.

What's up?
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

Here was today's PowerPod behavior.

I waited a few minutes after my ride started to turn on the PowerPod to make sure the wheelspeed and cadence sensors were working fine. They were.
I pushed the PowerPod button and it glowed steady green immediately. The cadence showed 63553 (or something like that) and power showed "--". After a few minutes, the cadence started working and power showed "--".
I waited a while and then pressed the PowerPod button again and the same thing happened for the cadence and power showed 0 watts.
We stopped after about 30 miles at a convenience store and the power showed 256 watts after the bike had been sitting for a few minutes. It continued to display 256 watts until I resumed the ride when I got the cadence at 63553 then correct cadence after a while and power readings of 0 or 1 watt.

What do I try next?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please do the following:

1) Ride your bike for a little bit, to awaken your speed and cadence sensors.

2) While riding, confirm that you see cadence readings on your Garmin

3) with the bike not moving, pick up the wheel that measures speed, spin the wheel, and confirm that you see speed readings on your Garmin

4) awaken PP. You should see a solid green light

5) NEXT: press-hold PP button for about 4 seconds, until it starts a new pairing process (light flashes green). Release the button

6) Assuming that you are using separate speed and cadence sensors, you will see the PP light flash red 3 times when the cadence sensor is found, then turn solid green when speed sensor is found

This should fix things. Let us know...
John Hamann
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

Hi John:

i followed the instructions above. The sensors work fine with the Garmin with the PowerPod off. I have separate sensors for speed and cadence, the most recent ones that don't have magnets. I also swapped in a new cadence sensor to rule that out.

Got the same result. "65535" on the cadence display "--" on the power display. :( And it didn't recover the cadence display at all on a 34 mile ride.

What's next?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a .ibr ride file from your PP.
John Hamann
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

All right.

In trying to download the .ibr files, I think I found the problem. I had trouble connecting the PowerPod to my computer and the USB port looks like it is buggered. I have to push the USB cable in with more than usual force and hold it to the left (looking from the rear) to make the connection and see the charging light. The last full ride I have is from 9/19/17. I don't think the PowerPod has been charged since then. The next (and last) file I have is from 9/24. It is almost empty but Strava says I rode 78 miles.

I attached both of these. But I think the USB port is broken. Is this fixable?
Attachments
iBike_09_19_2017_0521_23_Miles.ibr
(423.35 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
iBike_09_24_2017_0546_0_Miles.ibr
(27.96 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

Did you yank or toque the PP charging port's usb connection by any chance?

It may be a potential hardware "achilles heel" of PP...if not handled with care.

http://ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4300
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

BBQcyclist wrote:Did you yank or toque the PP charging port's usb connection by any chance?

It may be a potential hardware "achilles heel" of PP...if not handled with care.

http://ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4300
Sounds like it is damaged for sure