PowerPod mounting with a handlebar mounted dry bag

OneOldDuffer

PowerPod mounting with a handlebar mounted dry bag

Post by OneOldDuffer »

Hi, I'm new here.

Does anyone have experience with (or an opinion on) mounting a PowerPod, where a handlebar mounted dry bag will be fitted (for several weeks of touring) ?

My bike has drop bars and the dry bag will leave me with no practical mounting points on the bar top that will get clean air. I could go without the PowerPod, but I'd rather have it there to help me monitor my real versus perceived effort over the duration of the trip. I'm quite used to having it on all my rides.

The solution I have in mind is to buy an out-front combo mount, for Garmin and PowerPod, and to lift that above the handlebar bag with (what I call) a handle bar extender (two alloy mounts that clamp to the handlebar and then to a bar that can sit above the line of the existing handlebar - a pretty common ebay item).

It might look ungainly, but I think it will be solid enough to not jiggle the PowerPod around too much. Has anyone done something similar for a bikepacking trip ?

Thank you for any feedback.
Mark
Bugsbunny

Re: PowerPod mounting with a handlebar mounted dry bag

Post by Bugsbunny »

I'm also interested in this as I was looking at the apidura front handlebar mount bag for bike touring.

I didn't end up buying it, but when I was thinking it through in my head, I think it will be a challenge. I use a front mounted Garmin/PowerPod mount with it extended to the furthest most position, and I think the size of the apidura bag will be too big and either block and/or create too much air turbulence entering the PowerPod. I'm not sure you can get "clean" air without the bag getting in the way.

Good luck with it...

Bugs
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

The question is: will the PowerPod work with the Newton Remote Wind Sensor?
https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/prod ... ind-sensor
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texmurphy wrote:The question is: will the PowerPod work with the Newton Remote Wind Sensor?
https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/prod ... ind-sensor
The RWS is not designed for PP. We will play around a bit and see if we can offer a suggestion.
John Hamann
OneOldDuffer

Post by OneOldDuffer »

Thank you for the feedback so far. It's much appreciated.

I have a week and a bit before the handlebar bag arrives in Tasmania from England (Alpkit) and I can properly fit and measure out clearances and options. In my head it works, but I may be overly optimistic.

My original thought was to fit some clip on aero bars to provide extra hand and body positions on long day rides and that would give me a clean out front spot to mount PowerPod and Garmin too. I stepped back from that, as I have never used them before, but I do have time to entertain that option.

Again, thanks
Mark
MarkDuffer

Post by MarkDuffer »

Coming back to this thread.

I now have the handlebar bag and bits I was waiting on, and here is a quick test fit - far from final (apologies for the link out to Google Photos album).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oSTkqg2m5YiuBNHg2

Clear enough air ?

The supports and cross bar are metal and I'll also mount lights there. I'm looking to borrow a different mount, which will be less of an awkward fit.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Two points:

1) Make sure PP cannot rotate on the mount. I can't tell from the photo the diameter of the bar.

2) The bag beneath it will affect wind considerably. You will need to do an O&B cal ride, then use the bag each time you ride (or, have a separate profile for when the bag is not attached to the bike)
John Hamann
MarkDuffer

Post by MarkDuffer »

Velocomp wrote:Two points:

1) Make sure PP cannot rotate on the mount. I can't tell from the photo the diameter of the bar.

2) The bag beneath it will affect wind considerably. You will need to do an O&B cal ride, then use the bag each time you ride (or, have a separate profile for when the bag is not attached to the bike)
Thanks for the feedback.
It is a smaller diameter bar but, once everything is packed out and tightened down, it will be locked in place and not rotate.

Yes, will definitely do the out and back and use that config' for the duration of the tour with the bag attached. Repeat when I get back and strip the bike down.

Appreciate the feedback here.