Charge during the ride?

Gigi

Charge during the ride?

Post by Gigi »

Hi, is it possible to charge the PP during the ride with an external power pack?
Thank you
Gg
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Charge during the ride?

Post by Velocomp »

If your PP is fully charged prior to riding, its battery will last for about 20 hours of riding. I don't see why you would want to charge it during riding.

I'm not sure, but I think that charging during riding will disable the ride-recording capability of PP. However, it should transmit its data without problems.
John Hamann
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Velocomp wrote:If your PP is fully charged prior to riding, its battery will last for about 20 hours of riding. I don't see why you would want to charge it during riding.

I'm not sure, but I think that charging during riding will disable the ride-recording capability of PP. However, it should transmit its data without problems.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try as soon as possible.
I would want to charge it during riding because I'll do a randonée (randolomitics) of 435 km with 13800 m of elevation and maybe 20 hours are insufficient.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yeah, you need to average 21 KM/ hour to keep the ride at 20 hours total length.
John Hamann
danelmanperry

Post by danelmanperry »

Gigi: have you tested this yet? I'll be doing a ride this weekend that will far exceed the 20 hours and I'm also hoping to charge from a top tube bag on the go.

Thanks in advance!
-Daniel
Charcoal007

Post by Charcoal007 »

Hi,

I’ve recently brought powerpod v3. I like the unit and fascinated with the science.

This week I only got 1 hour of battery life before the recording stopped.

I rode less than 7 days ago and downloaded that ride through PC. The unit would have been fully charged and been stored for less than 4 days no plugged in.

I’m planning a gran fondo ride in 3 weeks and want to use the powerpod.

Did anyone confirm if the ride can be recorded when the powerpod is connected to an external battery pack?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Charcoal007 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:33 pm Hi,

I’ve recently brought powerpod v3. I like the unit and fascinated with the science.

This week I only got 1 hour of battery life before the recording stopped.

I rode less than 7 days ago and downloaded that ride through PC. The unit would have been fully charged and been stored for less than 4 days no plugged in.

I’m planning a gran fondo ride in 3 weeks and want to use the powerpod.

Did anyone confirm if the ride can be recorded when the powerpod is connected to an external battery pack?
When you charge PP, keep it plugged-in until it stops flashing red. When the flashing light goes out PP is fully charged.

NOW, ON TO YOUR QUESTION! :D

PP will not transmit any information by BLE when connected to an external power source.

To check transmission operation with ANT+ mode I did a bit of testing. Here is the procedure I used:

1) I awakened the ANT sensors

2) I awakened PP, making sure the solid green light came on (this means PP is paired to sensors)

3) I then connected PP to an external power source. When the external source is connected, and depending on the charge state of PP, the PP light might flash red. The light will go out when the unit is fully charged

4) I confirmed that ANT+ information from PP was being transmitted when an external battery is used
John Hamann
Charcoal007

Post by Charcoal007 »

Thanks for the reply.

To confirm the unit was connected to the PC and the red light had stopped flashing. In fact i did leave the unit attached for several hours to be sure the unit was charged.

I not your procedure for connecting the external power.

You say the unit wont transmit ble but will transmit Ant+.

How does PP connect to Garmin Edge 820? Is it via Ble or Ant+?

Will I see the output on my head unit while the external battery is connected?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, Garmin uses ANT+ (Garmin OWNS ANT!!!)

Yes, you should see output on your head unit while the battery is connected.
John Hamann
Charcoal007

Post by Charcoal007 »

Thanks for confirming.