PowerPod BLE/ANT is here!

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

PowerPod BLE/ANT is here!

Post by Velocomp »

We're delighted to announce that PowerPod BLE/ANT is working! We received pre-production units today (August 24) and they are operating just as designed.

If you're attending Eurobike August 31-September 4, stop by our booth FG/AK-5, and check out PowerPod BLE/ANT for yourself!

We will get this new model into production as soon as possible.

NOTE: you will need an ANT+ speed or speed/cadence sensor to use with your PowerPod BLE/ANT. Your PP will receive speed signals from the ANT speed sensor, and then transmit its power signals simultaneously in BLE and ANT format. So, both your Garmin ANT AND your smartphone app will receive power signals.

NOTE: if you're using a BLE smartphone app, and you want to see speed and cadence data on your app, you'll need to get a combined BLE/ANT speed-cadence sensor, such as those made by Wahoo. The app will receive speed/cadence data in BLE format, and the PP will simultaneously receive speed/cadence data in ANT format.

Now that we have the BLE version of PowerPod working, we will have some more exciting announcements soon.
John Hamann
Pete

Re: PowerPod BLE/ANT is here!

Post by Pete »

Hi John
Good luck with the new product.
Any reason the PP could not xmit non-power metrics in BLE format? speed, cadence, HR etc
(even if only as an optional setting?)
Therefore act as an effective ANT -> BLE translator for speed/candence/HR etc

Pete
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We're working on that. It is not as easy as it sounds!
John Hamann
nicholp1

Post by nicholp1 »

Velocomp wrote:We're working on that. It is not as easy as it sounds!
I guess this is the challenge of a single GUID and multiple data channels. There aren't many apps that support multichannel data streaming and next to none that support power. Rotating the data channels under a single GUID is a option but has it limitations especially if you want to send all data points to a reciving app or unit, you just can't do it by definition.
Fostex

Post by Fostex »

Nordic nRF51 should be able to do what you describe without any issues. I am guessing that is what you are using with the S130 soft device?

I am guessing that due to the signal processing you guys do has quite hard real-time requirements and the scheduling might be the complex part...

Still, great work, I'm an original Kickstarter backer and think it is a great product. If you ever need anymore firmware engineers...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...tell me more about yourself, jhamann@velocomp.com
John Hamann