How do I know how accurately my powerpod is dialed in ?

darrenb

How do I know how accurately my powerpod is dialed in ?

Post by darrenb »

Just got my powerpod recently and got out today for my first ride having installed and calibrated it and setup my profile bike weights , tyre size, rider weight etc. I cant believe how easy it was to setup and install so Kudos to John and the team at Ibike. That said as I don't have a DFPM the only crude way I have of checking how well dialled in the calibration is is by comparing segments to the numbers that http://www.bikecalculator.com give me for the same segment.

I know its been said to do a brief out and back ride and thats what I have done just about 18 mins on the bike. (Well I took a different road home but its pretty much out and back. When doing that it would seem that the powerpod over estimates my power by about 7%, now as its a crude way to go and check for all I know I could be dialled in perfectly but how do I know ? How do others on here make sure they are dialed in correctly ?

heres the file if anybody has any comments or suggestions.
iBike_07_04_2016_1940_8_km_HiDef.ibr
attached ride file if anybody has any comments to share
(204.41 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: How do I know how accurately my powerpod is dialed in ?

Post by Velocomp »

The best way to check calibration is with a true out-and-back ride, so that any wind on the "out" portion is exactly balanced by the same wind on the "back" portion.

It looks like you had a tail wind on the out portion, and a headwind on the return portion.

If you use the "Analyze/Check Calibration..." command, you'll get the result that your watts are actually a bit HIGHER than the uncorrected ride.

Bikecalculator.com is a fun website, but it has to be used carefully. You can't really analyze your ride with it, because wind varies so much (all of these websites assume that bike speed, wind speed, and slope are constant for the entire ride, which of course is not accurate). You have to pick small portions of the ride, where these assumptions are true.

If you can, do a true out and back ride, then post its result.

PS: For the first 8 minutes of your riding, PowerPod is adjusting its tilt sensor. So, it's best if you ride 8 minutes, then do an out-and-back.
John Hamann
brantel

Post by brantel »

Velocomp wrote: PS: For the first 8 minutes of your riding, PowerPod is adjusting its tilt sensor. So, it's best if you ride 8 minutes, then do an out-and-back.
John,

Does this happen on every ride or ? If not every ride, what triggers this?

What happens if you start your ride on a non level surface?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is an automatic function that happens continuously, at every moment of every ride.

If you've removed your PP and then reattached it, the first 8 minutes will compensate for any changes in mounting angle. After that, the changes are gradual (at best) so there is nothing to worry about.
John Hamann
darrenb

Post by darrenb »

Interesting information John thanks. So I guess the recommendation is to mount the powerpod and not remove it and just charge and download the data with it mounted so as not to have 8 mins of adjustment on each ride ?

Thanks for your prompt comments. I will do a proper out and back ride on the same road tomorrow and post it having done 8 mins of riding first to let the tilt readjustment complete. I didn't want to ask you guys to specifically look at my data as that's going to be unsustainable for you guys when the powerpod blows up and is on millions of bikes worldwide lol but I will take you up on the offer :)
brantel

Post by brantel »

Velocomp wrote:This is an automatic function that happens continuously, at every moment of every ride.

If you've removed your PP and then reattached it, the first 8 minutes will compensate for any changes in mounting angle. After that, the changes are gradual (at best) so there is nothing to worry about.
John,

If we don't move the clamp and we always tilt the PP up to the stop into the same place each time it is removed, does this ensure the fastest accuracy ?
darrenb

Post by darrenb »

John yuou might be wondering (probably not) why i havent posted that out and back ride yet.

well quite simple now my new powerpod had decided it doesnt want to be recognised by my system. I get an error that the usb device has malfunctioned when i plug it in and then device manager tells me its an unknown device. ive tried everything under the sun with no luck. Very frustrating but i guess i need to contact your tech support team to try and sort this mess out.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Tom will take care of you.

technicalsupport@velocomp.com
John Hamann