Wireless ID query

Todj

Wireless ID query

Post by Todj »

I have acquired a set of the new Garmin 'magnetless' sensors. Pairing the separate speed and cadence sensors with my Garmin head unit I can see that the IDs are 635932 (speed) and 635018 (cadence). Initially, I did try to enter these IDs manually using Isaac, but it wouldn't retain the six digit number, replacing it with 65535.
So I allowed the PP to auto-pair to the sensors and found, on later inspection, that speed sensor 635932 was shown as Wireless ID 46108 and a Type of 149.
That has me rather confused.
How can I manually enter the Wireless Ids for devices with six-digit IDs, and further, how do I manually 'Activate' a sensor?

This might be as much an 'Isaac' query as a 'Powerpod' query?
Regards,
Richard
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Wireless ID query

Post by Velocomp »

I'm not sure how Garmin displays its wireless IDs.

With PowerPod you perform a Scan (Press-hold the button for 4 seconds, until the light flashes green). PowerPod then finds the wireless ID.

Given the fact that Garmin apparently uses a different method to display its IDs, I would not try entering their IDs into Isaac.
John Hamann
Todj

Post by Todj »

Thanks John,
Should the PP also pair with a cadence sensor and a hear-rate sensor, similarly to the speed sensor, or does it just look for a speed sensor? I know that my cadence and HR sensors are awake before perform the PP pairing function, as I have checked that my Garmin can see them, but those two sensors are not on the profile after pairing.

Also......my PP stops working after only 10-15 minutes and the only way to wake it is via a full 10-second 'hard reset'. The battery is fully charged and it is not recording any ride longer than one mile. Perhaps I need to contact tech support on this.
Regards,
Richard
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

PowerPod will pair to ANT+ speed, cadence, and HR sensors.

Try putting your Garmin speed sensor on the front hub. That might help with any problems you're having regarding long distance recording.

Also, please post a .ibr ride file.
John Hamann
Todj

Post by Todj »

Hi John,
Speed sensor is already on the front hub.
Ride file attached from this morning. :)
Attachments
iBike_03_19_2016_0846_1_Miles.ibr
(19.35 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Regards,
Richard
Todj

Post by Todj »

For information, also attached is the Garmin output from that same ride. It can be seen that the PP was outputting power figures for several miles, but none of these were recorded.
Attachments
Ride_output_2016_03_19.png
Ride_output_2016_03_19.png (89.72 KiB) Viewed 8486 times
Regards,
Richard
Todj

Post by Todj »

Hi John,

Thank you for the patches sent through at the weekend. Very much appreciated. That has cured the issues of the wireless IDs for cadence + HR, and partially solved the ride-length problem. However, my rides over the past few days have brought the following result:-

1) Start up the PP with a single click, flashing green then solid green, and off we go. Everything going great and power figures coming through. After a period of time (this morning 10 minutes, yesterday 40 minutes) the PP stops outputting and the only way to wake it up is with the 10-second hard reset. On later inspection the file for this first part of the ride is labelled with 0 miles. (see file 1 below).

2) After the hard-reset, the PP behaves normally all the way to cafe, where it goes to sleep. The hard-reset seems to have upset the date/time to 01-11-2016. (see file 2 below showing 21 miles).

3) Leave cafe, restart the PP as per normal with a single click and PP behaves normally all the way home. Again, the file has a date/time based on 01-11-2016 (see file 3 below showing 19 miles).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

FYI, probably not relevant, but the PP spends overnight in the house at (say) 20 Celsius, and our current UK outside temperature is circa 4 Celsius.

I do love the simplicity of the PP and truly hope that we can get the reliability sorted. :)
Attachments
iBike_03_23_2016_0905_0_Miles.ibr
File 1
(32.89 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
iBike_01_11_2016_0000_21_Miles.ibr
File 2
(257.98 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
iBike_01_11_2016_0208_19_Miles.ibr
File 3
(249.04 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Regards,
Richard
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I looked at your ride files.

1) Make sure your PowerPod is fully charged. If the battery is low that might be causing problems.

2) A hard reset does wipe out the internal clock time. When you connect your PowerPod to Isaac, the clock date/time is updated.

3) Yes, the PowerPod will go to sleep when you stop for an extended period of time. When PowerPod goes to sleep it automatically splits the ride file. You can rejoin the ride files in Isaac.

4) After a break you don't have to do a hard reset to get PowerPod to reconnect. After your break, spin your wheel to wake up your speed sensor, then click the PowerPod button to wake it up. It will show solid green...indicating that it's ready to record.
John Hamann
Todj

Post by Todj »

Thanks John,

The battery is fully charged.

Yes....I expect it to go to sleep (20 mins of inactivity?) so I know to wake it up with a single click after spinning the wheel and the cranks.

The underlying issue is that I have no option but to do the hard-reset after between 10 and 40 minutes as it stops outputting whilst out on the road. Any thoughts?

After that one hard-reset it behaves impeccably for the remainder of the day :?
Regards,
Richard
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Todj wrote:Thanks John,

The battery is fully charged.

Yes....I expect it to go to sleep (20 mins of inactivity?) so I know to wake it up with a single click after spinning the wheel and the cranks.

The underlying issue is that I have no option but to do the hard-reset after between 10 and 40 minutes as it stops outputting whilst out on the road. Any thoughts?

After that one hard-reset it behaves impeccably for the remainder of the day :?
Yes, going to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity sounds correct.

I have not seen this problem reported by anyone else. When the PP stops working, what happens when you click its button (before doing a hard reset)? Does the light turn on? If so, what color?
John Hamann
Todj

Post by Todj »

Velocomp wrote: I have not seen this problem reported by anyone else. When the PP stops working, what happens when you click its button (before doing a hard reset)? Does the light turn on? If so, what color?
Nothing.
Tried doing a single click as a simple wake up. No response.
Tried doing a four-second hold. No response.
The only response I could elicit whilst out on the road was by using the continual hold which, counting seconds in my head took >15, and that gave a quick green flash then solid green.

Using Isaac I have tried doing a 'Reset profiles,' and then a 'Reset device', but the issue remains the same. :?
Regards,
Richard
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We will investigate, but this will be tricky to fix until we can replicate the problem.

Please keep a careful watch on things and let us know what happens--good or bad.
John Hamann
Todj

Post by Todj »

Thanks John. I did wonder if it might be rapid temperature drop causing the problem? My Garmin (which had sat on the office desk next to the PP all night) showed a start temperature of 59 degrees F. During the ride it dropped quickly down to 39 F.

As the PP was stable for the rest of the day once it had been 'hard-reset' then clearly it is OK operating in those temperatures, but I wondered about the effect of rapid cooling?

I will leave the PP on the bike it the garage for the next few nights as a trial, where it is much cooler.

Of course, I could be talking complete BS..... :D
Regards,
Richard
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We've got a LOT of people using PowerPod in cold temperatures. No one else has reported this kind of problem, but...who knows? :-)
John Hamann
Todj

Post by Todj »

Hi John,
UK temperatures a lot better now :)
However, the PP definitely isn't any better :( Here's the file from today's ride.

PP started up fine. Single click, flashing green, solid green....off we go.

It output power figures for 15 minutes and then stopped. On this occasion, rather than hard-reset on the road, I thought I'd wait until I got home, take it off the bike and into the office, and leave it for a couple of hours to see if it would go into a sleep state.

No....it wouldn't wake with the single click. And when I connected it to the USB it wouldn't charge either. I therefore had to do a hard-reset to get it to charge and to communicate with the laptop.

I'm becoming of the opinion that this unit may be faulty?

Any advices appreciated. :)
Attachments
iBike_03_25_2016_0813_0_Miles.ibr
Morning ride 25th March 2016.
(53.47 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Regards,
Richard
blorg

Post by blorg »

I was looking at this thread trying to figure out how to correlate what is in Isaac with the sensor IDs as displayed on my Garmin. This is particularly useful if you have multiple bikes and are trying to figure out if everything is lined up right.

This is down to extended sensor IDs. Sensor IDs were originally 16-bit numbers, allowing 65,536 different combinations. It was later decided to extend these to 20-bit, allowing a bit over a million, to reduce the chance of a conflict. The way this was done was by using the top nibble (4 bits) of the 8-bit type ID.

So if you are looking in Isaac at the "ID" and "type", this is how you correlate it. Taking an example of one of my bikes, it has a speed ID of 50805 and a type of 145.

- 50805 to hex = C675
- 145 to hex = 91
- top nibble is the left digit = 9
- full extended device ID = 9C675
- 9C675 back to decimal = 640629 <-- this is the number you will see on your Garmin

As to entering them back, in the Garmin number you only have the 16-bit device ID and the top nibble of the type. You don't have the bottom nibble in that number. So like John says better not enter them. But this will help you correlate them after.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blorg wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:51 am I was looking at this thread trying to figure out how to correlate what is in Isaac with the sensor IDs as displayed on my Garmin. This is particularly useful if you have multiple bikes and are trying to figure out if everything is lined up right.

This is down to extended sensor IDs. Sensor IDs were originally 16-bit numbers, allowing 65,536 different combinations. It was later decided to extend these to 20-bit, allowing a bit over a million, to reduce the chance of a conflict. The way this was done was by using the top nibble (4 bits) of the 8-bit type ID.

So if you are looking in Isaac at the "ID" and "type", this is how you correlate it. Taking an example of one of my bikes, it has a speed ID of 50805 and a type of 145.

- 50805 to hex = C675
- 145 to hex = 91
- top nibble is the left digit = 9
- full extended device ID = 9C675
- 9C675 back to decimal = 640629 <-- this is the number you will see on your Garmin

As to entering them back, in the Garmin number you only have the 16-bit device ID and the top nibble of the type. You don't have the bottom nibble in that number. So like John says better not enter them. But this will help you correlate them after.
Interesting; thanks!
John Hamann