dynamic smoothing on powerpod

bobbyperry

dynamic smoothing on powerpod

Post by bobbyperry »

has the power pod got DPS? how do yo set it? when my garmin has 3sec 10sc etc etc smoothing.
John Mac

Re: dynamic smoothing on powerpod

Post by John Mac »

PP defaults to dynamic smoothing. Set your Garmin to watts, not 3sec. It will save a lot of confusion.
malcolmknight

Post by malcolmknight »

John Mac wrote:PP defaults to dynamic smoothing. Set your Garmin to watts, not 3sec. It will save a lot of confusion.

What does that mean? How would I do that?

Can you flesh it out a little please. I am not sure where that would appear in Garmin, and I have been through most of it.

Thanks. Sorry to be a pleb.

I have my garmin 510 set to 1 second gps pick up. And auto pause of course. Clearly that is not what you are referring to.

I am trying to track the powerpod readings this morning. According to Garmin I hit over 1991 watts on a downhill sprint at 44.6 mph. I did hit it hard, though not that hard.
The newton data shows it but shows a peak watts of 1463. So I think its a smoothing issue. At 0 secs its 2100+ at 5 it looks better on the isaac, and at 10 seconds its 1425 ~.
Clearly its a setting on Garmin. Can you help? I know I no longer push those 2000+ watts. I do however regularly hit 1500+.
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

I know this doesn't help the OP exactly but I use a Joule 1.0 and it took me a few days of messing about to get a setting that seemed to return non-random numbers.

This probably isn't anything that Powerpod creators would recommend but I run 3s smoothing from the power pod and 3s smoothing on the Joule. I don't get instant response figures but I do get very stable numbers with only a few seconds delay. I'm not racing or anything so this is working well for me with no random spikes.

I have a spare Joule set up on the bike as well which is running just the 3s from PP numbers without Joule smoothing, just in case I do want to know some quicker numbers.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You're basically running with 6 second averaging (sum of Joule and PowerPod). This will result in stable numbers.

If you set your Joule to 1 second and PP to Dynamic Smoothing, you should get that stability, plus fast response in surges.
John Hamann