PowerPod and speed sensor problems with Garmin GSC-10 sensor

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

PowerPod and speed sensor problems with Garmin GSC-10 sensor

Post by Velocomp »

To function correctly PowerPod must receive speed readings from your ANT+ speed or speed/cadence sensor. When speed readings are incorrect PowerPod will work intermittently or not at all.

We've had very few reports of problems with PowerPod, but it seems like almost all the ones we've had involve incorrect/intermittent speed readings from the Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor (see photo).

IMPORTANT: Even if you see bike speed and cadence on your Garmin bike computer, your GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor may not be working properly. While out on a ride, if the GSC-10 speed sensor isn't working, your Garmin will get bike speed numbers from its GPS receiver, so you won't know that your speed sensor is not working properly.

In searching the internet, it appears that more than a few users have had problems with the GSC-10.

Symptoms of a malfunctioning speed sensor include:

1) After pairing PowerPod light goes to solid yellow, but when riding afterwards PowerPod never flashes yellow (non-functioning speed sensor)

2) 0-4000 watt readings (intermittent sensor)

3) Ride file lengths are shorter than actual (intermittent sensor)

4) When the bike is at rest, if you spin the crank your Garmin bike computer shows cadence but not bike speed, or does not show cadence and does not show bike speed

If you're using a GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor on your bike, please do the following:

1) Before riding with PowerPod, confirm that your GSC-10 speed sensor is really working. With the bike at rest, spin your rear wheel. You should see speed on your Garmin bike computer. If you don't see speed, or if speed readings are intermittent, then either your speed magnet and sensor are misaligned, or your GSC-10 isn't working properly.

2) If your GSC-10 isn't working properly even after correctly aligning the spoke magnet and pod sensor, we recommend that you buy the latest-generation Garmin bike speed sensor and cadence sensor. The speed sensor mounts on the rear hub and it works great. The GSC-10 has been discontinued...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 11.24.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 11.24.00 AM.png (250.49 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
John Hamann
texmurphy

Re: PowerPod and speed sensor problems with Garmin GSC-10 se

Post by texmurphy »

Low battery voltage on the gsc-10 will kill speed sensor reporting while still reporting cadence. Any voltage below 3.0V may yield intermittent speed reporting.
Gsc-10 battery can discharge overnight if either of the magnets is stored over the sensors (wheel magnet at 9 o'clock or crank magnet at 3 o'clock).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texmurphy wrote:Low battery voltage on the gsc-10 will kill speed sensor reporting while still reporting cadence. Any voltage below 3.0V may yield intermittent speed reporting.
Gsc-10 battery can discharge overnight if either of the magnets is stored over the sensors (wheel magnet at 9 o'clock or crank magnet at 3 o'clock).
Good information!
John Hamann
eschlange

Post by eschlange »

Found this post a day later than I needed it--ha!

For me, my speed sensor hadn't been working for who knows how long--but my Garmin head unit had masked this fact as described above. Once I adjusted things so it worked again, I was able to get into calibration mode and get calibrated.

Maybe consider adding a section to the troubleshooting doc that came with the PowerPod--what to do if the yellow light stays on and won't go into blinking calibration mode.