A couple of PowerPod Questions ( Dynamic Power Smoothing and

nicholp1

A couple of PowerPod Questions ( Dynamic Power Smoothing and

Post by nicholp1 »

I’ve had a couple of rides with the PowerPod and I like what I’m seeing, I do however have some more questions.
I’ve looked through the Newton Manuals and the Isaac guide but I can’t find the answer’s I’m looking for and hence I thought it would be better to post here as other people can take benefit from the answers.

Does the Power Pod support Dynamic Power Smoothing? If so how do you set the Smoothing time? Is this setting in Issac under Edit Profiles, Device Power Smoothing?

Following on from this which data field would the PowerPod transmit the “smoothed Power” over ANT to, Watts? ( i.e is this the data that would then go into the tcx file).

The reason I ask this is that I like the concept of Dynamic Power Smoothing and idea of seeing this data in ride, however I would like to understand the effect on the data files I export from my Garmin to Golden Cheetah ( the reason I take the files from the Garmin and not directly from Isaac is the GPS points from the Garmin)

In addition I would like to pair a heart rate monitor strap to the powerpod to record HR so I can see this in Issac. I can see in the Edit Profiles, Wireless ID’s and I added in the ID from the strap I want to pair, how do I then make this active?

BTW: I took the option of the PowerStroke add-on, I previously used think I was quite smooth on the bike now I’m thinking I must ride like a bag of old spanners ;-)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: A couple of PowerPod Questions ( Dynamic Power Smoothing

Post by Velocomp »

PowerPod ships with the Dynamic Power Smoothing feature turned on. There's nothing you have to do. Data sent over ANT already has the DPS included. Make sure you set your ANT+ bike computer to minimum smoothing, so you get the full benefit of DPS.

Do a PowerPod pairing with your HR strap attached and PowerPod will record your HR data, too.

PowerStroke is a very humbling metric for many of us... :-)
John Hamann
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Can you disable the dynamic smoothing? I have tried editing the profile to use 0 seconds smoothing and this seems to apply a 30 second averaging, I just want to see the raw data.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Setting to zero should stop DPS. I will confirm with our firmware guru.
John Hamann
Glenn Belt

Post by Glenn Belt »

Just to confirm what you said above - as PP comes with DPS as standard we need to set our Garmins etc to zero power smoothing for DPS to work?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Glenn Belt wrote:Just to confirm what you said above - as PP comes with DPS as standard we need to set our Garmins etc to zero power smoothing for DPS to work?
Correct. PowerPod is already doing the power filtering; if you also filter with your Garmin, you'll add much more delay into your power numbers.
John Hamann
eschlange

Post by eschlange »

To so I'm clear--if I've got DPS enabled, should I not have my Garmin set on Power/3s? Heck, I don't even know if my Garmin has a non-smoothed option. I would guess it does though...

I get why this could add a lot of delay... seems like you would only want one device doing the smoothing.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

With DPS enabled, set your Garmin to the shortest filtering period it allows.
John Hamann