Couple of Powerpod/Isaac questions

Glenn Belt

Couple of Powerpod/Isaac questions

Post by Glenn Belt »

I've done a few rides with the Powerpod now and there's a couple of things which I'm not sure of. The pairing process was straightforward and the Powerpod is very securely mounted.

Firstly - I put this morning's ride into Isaac and despite saying no when asked if it was an out and back ride Isaac designated it as such anyway.

Secondly - there have been a few instances of Powerpod not recognising pedalling on descents even though the cadence is being picked up by my Garmin. I've put this down to my pedalling not actually adding anything to the forward motion of the bike but I'd rather make sure.

Finally - I've only got the power figures on my smart turbo trainer to compare the Powerpod figures to and they're in the same ballpark although my real world power output seems a touch higher. Is there any chance you can cast an eye over the file and see if it looks ok or whether I've got any glaring set-up issues?

Cheers,
Attachments
IBRFile1.ibr
(383.59 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Couple of Powerpod/Isaac questions

Post by Velocomp »

Your PowerPod is working just fine!

Please confirm that your total bike/rider weight is 265 pounds.

If you want to eliminate the out-and-back feature, uncheck the "Automatically Analyze Route" box in Edit/Preferences...

You're correct that cadence is not being seen by the PowerPod. It is very odd that your Garmin sees cadence but not the PowerPod.

If possible please post the .gpx file from your Garmin for this ride.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 5.26.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 5.26.25 PM.png (68.55 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
John Hamann
Glenn Belt

Post by Glenn Belt »

Hi John,

Thanks for getting to this so quickly. I've attached an IBR file from the ride a couple of days ago when I first noticed the power seemed to be missing on some descents - the first file I uploaded was actually a really bad example as I knocked my cadence sensor out of alignment shortly after setting off hence today's ride showing no cadence after a certain point so cadence wasn't being collected at all. Apologies if this was causing confusion - I'd forgotten all about that!

Weight is (sadly) correct at 265lb inc bike, kit, full bottle and commuting kit.

If you still need the gpx let me know and I'll post it up tomorrow.

Thanks.
Attachments
IBRFile2.ibr
(183.36 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, that's more like it! Everything is working fine.
John Hamann
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

I'm am having the same issue with cadence not being reliably paired and have observed this on all my rides, iBike is performing well and I have attached this mornings ride file.

- Computer (Joule GPS) is paired with cadence and is not experiencing any dropouts (have attached the Computer .fit file also for comparison)
- When I stop pedaling the cadence on computer drops to zero within 1 second and power drops to zero withing 1 second. This behavior is consistent for the entire ride. This is also easily observed viewing the fit file and even more obviously when looking at the raw data recorded by computer in excel.
- viewing the raw PowerPod data you can see that cadence is not recorded for the majority of the ride. In places where cadence was recorded, zero cadence corresponds with zero power as above
- I am using dynamic power smoothing in my profile. I did try 0 seconds smoothing previously but it seems to apply approx 30 seconds smoothing in that case (possible bug?)

So in summary, the data that is being recorded by the Computer is excellent and would seem to indicate the PowerPod is using the cadence sensor as part of the power calculations, but the cadence data is not being recorded on the powerpod itself. The average power also differs between the two files so I suspect the power data sent to the computer is also different to what is recorded on the powerpod, this could be artifact of the dynamic smoothing though.
Attachments
iBike_12_30_2015_0503_65_km.ibr
(466.91 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Computer .fit file, couldn't seem to attach to previous message
Attachments
Jim Robinson 2015-12-30 05-03-42.csv
Joule GPS
(240.62 KiB) Downloaded 221 times