auto vs out&back calibration

arfs

auto vs out&back calibration

Post by arfs »

just ordered my V4 yesterday can’t wait to get it.

in the meanwhile i noticed that both the Lite and V4 seem to have a simplified auto calibration when you just ride normally and also the traditional out and back calibration.

is it right for me to assume the out and back will result in more accurate calibration?

and if so, in what situation or for what type of riders would the auto calibration be “good enough”?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: auto vs out&back calibration

Post by Velocomp »

Out and back is more accurate, because it doesn't estimate your wind factor.

PPV4 automatically sets itself to an out-and-back calibration. There's nothing special you have to do to invoke it.
John Hamann
arfs

Post by arfs »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm Out and back is more accurate, because it doesn't estimate your wind factor.

PPV4 automatically sets itself to an out-and-back calibration. There's nothing special you have to do to invoke it.
sorry i was just going off the marketing material on the V4 page:

“Simplified Setup and Calibration – just pair PowerPod V4 to your ANT+™ sensor and bike computer, then ride. PowerPod auto-calibrates every time you ride.”

it seems to imply that after you take out of the box and install for the first time, that you can just go ride like you normally would without specifically doing an out and back calibration.

is that right? and does it give “good enough” accuracy this way?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

arfs wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:19 pm
Velocomp wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm Out and back is more accurate, because it doesn't estimate your wind factor.

sorry i was just going off the marketing material on the V4 page:

“Simplified Setup and Calibration – just pair PowerPod V4 to your ANT+™ sensor and bike computer, then ride. PowerPod auto-calibrates every time you ride.”

it seems to imply that after you take out of the box and install for the first time, that you can just go ride like you normally would without specifically doing an out and back calibration.

is that right? and does it give “good enough” accuracy this way?
The statement is correct but incomplete (not by intention). When you first set up V4 out of the box you will need to do an out-and-back ride; after that, each time you ride PP recalibrates automatically. We have updated our website to clarify the setup process. :D
John Hamann