Powerpod V3 causing drops in estimated cadence

chef_sam

Powerpod V3 causing drops in estimated cadence

Post by chef_sam » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:08 pm

I have the powerpod V3 set up to my Garmin 530 edge with individual speed 2 and cadence 2 sensors. Before I set up the powerpod cadence measurements were consistent. However, when I use the powerpod cadence measurements keep dropping from 85-90 to 60-65 every minute or two for 5-10 seconds. I've attached a figure showing these drops. It's perplexing. I don't think it's affecting speed or power measurements but it is messing with both average cadence and estimated gear ratios.

I messaged Garmin about it and they told me it was due to the powerpod since it is overriding the cadence data sent to the garmin.

How would I go about resolving this? I tried removing and re-added all devices, using bluetooth and ANT+,
Attachments
cadence drops.jpg
cadence drops.jpg (40.84 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod V3 causing drops in estimated cadence

Post by Velocomp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Our products are certified compatible by ANT+ (Garmin).

In other words...we are sending the data in accordance with the ANT spec. Why the 530 is having problems I cannot say.

The only thing I can suggest is that you pair PowerPod to your speed sensor, with your cadence sensor turned OFF, so that PowerPod does not pair to your cadence sensor.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 6.01.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 6.01.56 PM.png (201.07 KiB) Viewed 429 times
John Hamann

chef_sam

Post by chef_sam » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 pm

Thanks John I'll give this a try tomorrow when I go for a ride.

mir

Post by mir » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:54 pm

I see the certificate states firmware version 7.12. When do you expect to release this firmware version?

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:15 pm

FW 712 is a minor update to 711 that is in production. It will be released soon but it has no bearing on this issue.
John Hamann

mir

Post by mir » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:20 am

Ok.

lorduintah

Post by lorduintah » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:52 pm

My PP-V3 shows FW 7.09 and does not indicate an update being available.

CyclingTwoVlogger

Post by CyclingTwoVlogger » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:03 pm

lorduintah wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:52 pm
Same as mine.

mir

Post by mir » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:45 pm

lorduintah wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:52 pm
If I am not mistaken FW 7.09 is the latest for powerpod (v2?, v3) and fw 7.11 is the latest for aeropod.

chef_sam

Post by chef_sam » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:24 pm

Velocomp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:03 pm

In other words...we are sending the data in accordance with the ANT spec. Why the 530 is having problems I cannot say.

The only thing I can suggest is that you pair PowerPod to your speed sensor, with your cadence sensor turned OFF, so that PowerPod does not pair to your cadence sensor.
Hi John,

I tried this, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I turned on the garmin and powerpod, spun the back wheel to activate the speed sensor and watched it connect to my garmin. The garmin showed the cadence sensor to be inactive. Then I went for a ride, but the cadence issues persisted. I tried removing and re-adding the cadence sensor but it made no difference. I've also tried connecting everything by bluetooth but have the same issue.

lorduintah

Post by lorduintah » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Just curious -

I see you also have Garmin Sensors -

There are LEDs that will flash right after they wake up for a short time. If you do not see the flashing, the issue could be batteries...

I have the Garmin sensors (version 2) and the speed sensor is recommended to be mounted on the front wheel, not the rear. It may be that there is enough between the speed sensor and the PP that you are not reliably picking up the signal.

Have you a hard reset on the Edge 530 - and what firmware version do you have - I think there was at least one revision that did not capture the sensor pairing with 100% reliability.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:45 pm

chef_sam wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:24 pm
Velocomp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi John,

I tried this, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I turned on the garmin and powerpod, spun the back wheel to activate the speed sensor and watched it connect to my garmin. The garmin showed the cadence sensor to be inactive. Then I went for a ride, but the cadence issues persisted. I tried removing and re-adding the cadence sensor but it made no difference. I've also tried connecting everything by bluetooth but have the same issue.
Just checking: after you turned off your cadence sensor, did you do a new pairing to your PowerPod? A new pairing would remove any memory the PowerPod had of your cadence sensor. If you did not take this step then you should do a new pairing between PowerPod and your speed sensor, making sure your cadence sensor is off.

If you did a new sensor pairing and your cadence sensor was not paired to PowerPod, then I can say with 100% confidence that the problem is either your cadence sensor or your Garmin. PowerPod transmits power data, in accordance with the ANT+ spec. PowerPod has no knowledge of any other sensor on your bike; therefore, if there is an interference issue, the problem is with the other sensor or the Garmin.
John Hamann

chef_sam

Post by chef_sam » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 pm

Hi John,

I can't really turn off the cadence sensor as far as I know - it seems to auto-activate when spun and auto-shut-off. I just spun the back wheel (where the speed sensor is) until the speed sensor light turned on, avoiding moving the crank so the cadence sensor remained off/asleep. I did not do a new pairing to the powerpod, I will give that a try thanks. Just to clarify - you're suggesting I only pair the speed sensor to the powerpod, and do not try to pair the cadence sensor to it later, right? Will this lead to the powerpod to estimating power when I'm coasting?

chef_sam

Post by chef_sam » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:50 pm

lorduintah wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 pm
Just curious -

I see you also have Garmin Sensors -

There are LEDs that will flash right after they wake up for a short time. If you do not see the flashing, the issue could be batteries...

I have the Garmin sensors (version 2) and the speed sensor is recommended to be mounted on the front wheel, not the rear. It may be that there is enough between the speed sensor and the PP that you are not reliably picking up the signal.

Have you a hard reset on the Edge 530 - and what firmware version do you have - I think there was at least one revision that did not capture the sensor pairing with 100% reliability.
Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought it was supposed to go on the rear wheel, but now I don't know where I got that notion. I'm going to move it to the front wheel. I haven't done a hard reset on the 530, it is currently using software version 5.10.

lorduintah

Post by lorduintah » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:40 am

In case you do not have the link to the Update Page for the Edge 530 Firmware:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... p?id=14953

They are presently listing a beta version of 5.28. It looks like 5.24 was the most recent previous version. What Garmin does do conveniently is to add the previous "stable" firmware version with the download of the latest beta - and a file that describes how to revert to that stable version if you run into problems with the beta download version. It is basically a simple file rename (from a portion of the contents of the download) and then copying that file to a location on the Garmin filesystem.

It is also a good idea after running any updater on these to do a reset on the Garmin Edge - seems that sometimes not everything from the previous version is accurately replaced. - Just a suggestion from the user forums.

Tom

chef_sam

Post by chef_sam » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:43 pm

lorduintah wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:40 am
In case you do not have the link to the Update Page for the Edge 530 Firmware:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... p?id=14953

They are presently listing a beta version of 5.28. It looks like 5.24 was the most recent previous version. What Garmin does do conveniently is to add the previous "stable" firmware version with the download of the latest beta - and a file that describes how to revert to that stable version if you run into problems with the beta download version. It is basically a simple file rename (from a portion of the contents of the download) and then copying that file to a location on the Garmin filesystem.

It is also a good idea after running any updater on these to do a reset on the Garmin Edge - seems that sometimes not everything from the previous version is accurately replaced. - Just a suggestion from the user forums.

Tom
This is awesome thanks. I wasn't being prompted to update so I assumed all was up to date, but apparently not! I've updated it but did not reset, I didn't want to lose data. My next ride I'll also take John's suggestion r.e. PP pairing and hopefully between the two it will be resolved! If not, I'll try resetting the garmin.

chef_sam

Post by chef_sam » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Velocomp wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:45 pm
Just checking: after you turned off your cadence sensor, did you do a new pairing to your PowerPod? A new pairing would remove any memory the PowerPod had of your cadence sensor. If you did not take this step then you should do a new pairing between PowerPod and your speed sensor, making sure your cadence sensor is off.

If you did a new sensor pairing and your cadence sensor was not paired to PowerPod, then I can say with 100% confidence that the problem is either your cadence sensor or your Garmin. PowerPod transmits power data, in accordance with the ANT+ spec. PowerPod has no knowledge of any other sensor on your bike; therefore, if there is an interference issue, the problem is with the other sensor or the Garmin.
Ok - I tried only pairing to the speed sensor and it led to some other problems. I spun the wheel to awaken the sensor. Then I pressed the PP button and held for 4 seconds. It flashed green then went solid green, then went off. I went for a ride a few minutes later, but there was no power reading. I pressed the button, nothing happened. I stopped, kept trying to press the button, nothing. No light, no power reading. I held it for 4 seconds to try and pair again, nothing. 5, 6, 8 seconds, nothing. So I held it for 10+ seconds to hard reset, it flashed orange then turned off. I tried pairing again, nothing. I had to hard reset the unit 3 times before it would try pairing again. Even then, it would flash green then flash red, indicating the pairing wasn't successful. It took a few attempts before it paired, then prompted my Edge 530 to do a calibration. So I did, but several times into the calibration it would shut off after power reached 4 (out of 100). Eventually it went fully through the calibration. But unfortunately because I had woken the cadence sensor and there is no way to shut it off without just waiting 15 minutes, the cadence drops continued and I wasn't able to try again on this ride.

Why would my PP suddenly become unresponsive and require a hard reset, then wouldn't pair, then wouldn't calibrate? It was fully charged and it was working fine to re-pair the speed sensor earlier. I have to admit, this device is proving more challenging to use than I expected.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:14 am

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann