Newton +6 pairing Garmin Varia

Ridley

Newton +6 pairing Garmin Varia

Post by Ridley »

I'd like to know if there is compatibility between Newton +6 and Garmin Varia, and if the answer is yes how can I pair the two devices?
On the 12th December a car hitted me from behind and I reported a lot of injuries and 2 broken ribs, broken left scapula so I want to be warned if a car approaches me.
My Newton survived the crash I'd like to use it for many more years.
Thanks
Corrado from Italy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newton +6 pairing Garmin Varia

Post by Velocomp »

Ridley wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:08 am I'd like to know if there is compatibility between Newton +6 and Garmin Varia, and if the answer is yes how can I pair the two devices?
On the 12th December a car hitted me from behind and I reported a lot of injuries and 2 broken ribs, broken left scapula so I want to be warned if a car approaches me.
My Newton survived the crash I'd like to use it for many more years.
Thanks
Corrado from Italy
Ouch! I hope you are healing quickly.

Please provide the serial number of your Newton so we can confirm compatibility.
John Hamann
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

The photo of the serial number is attached.
Let me know...I really need good news
Attachments
Screenshot (214).png
Screenshot (214).png (148.11 KiB) Viewed 12154 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The serial number in your screen shot is difficult to read. Please type it in this thread.

Also, go to "Device/Unlock Feature/Get Unlock Status" and take a screen shot of the features enabled in your unit.
John Hamann
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

Serial number : 02-05-16-08-06-12-08-00-01-01-03-02-AB-7E-10-02.
Attachments
Screenshot (218).png
Screenshot (218).png (236.79 KiB) Viewed 12130 times
Screenshot (216).png
Screenshot (216).png (182.1 KiB) Viewed 12130 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Good news: you have the CdA key installed, so as long as you do not have a DFPM paired to your Newton, your Newton will transmit its power information to your Varia.

Make sure your Newton is awake and paired to your ANT+ sensors, then pair your Newton to your Varia.
John Hamann
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

Garmin Varia is a rearview radar and tail light and its purpose is to warn by a radar if a car is approaching from behind so I need to know if this message can be sent to my Newton.
Newton should receive from Varia a written warning on the screen or an acoustic advice when a car is near me.
Please tell me if Newton can do it and not the other way around.
Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ridley wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 am Garmin Varia is a rearview radar and tail light and its purpose is to warn by a radar if a car is approaching from behind so I need to know if this message can be sent to my Newton.
Newton should receive from Varia a written warning on the screen or an acoustic advice when a car is near me.
Please tell me if Newton can do it and not the other way around.
Thanks
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your question.

The message Varia sends is by ANT+, in a special format. Varia did not exist at the time we discontinued production of Newton, so unfortunately Newton is not capable of understanding the Varia's message.

To receive the Varia message you will need to get a compatible Garmin device. If you do, that device will also be able to read your Newton's power readings.
John Hamann