Newton 6 sensor challenge

blp

Newton 6 sensor challenge

Post by blp »

Lasts night's ride really challenged my Newton 6.

On the way to the group meeting place, all is fine. The N6 timed out and turned off, as it is designed. When I restarted I started havng all sorts of issues with the sensor syncing.

First I lost the signal from my cadence (new style Garmin with fresh-ish, strong battery). his seems to happen frequently lately. Of course, I lost power data. Eventually at one point no sensors were picked up- HRM, SPCD and Cadence. All zeros on the screen.

I confirmed the correct bike profile was selected and tried re-syncing sensors several times with some success and re-starting the N6. Never really any resolution to the issue.

I have sent Ignore DFPM to the N6 but nearby DFPM seem to give the N6 grief.

Another interesting (related) thing is that the Garmin Edge 820 used to pick up the N6 power signal, then for a while hasn't. Then towardthe end of the ride, the Garmin started picking up the signal again.

I've attached the ride file, maybe you can see something. For reference, the Garmin Connect file (complete ride) is here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2862848799

The first 37 minutes is fine. The next 3:17 is complete wrong, it has dropped 16km, as indicated by the GPS as-the-crow-flies section. From 1h05 on is good again.

To recap, the first 37 minutes is all good and the N6 powered down. Then there is 16km missing altogether. After several attempts at re-syncng and ere-starting, things seem t come back.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
iBike_07_18_2018_1722_41_km_HiDef.ibr
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 325 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newton 6 sensor challenge

Post by Velocomp »

This is, indeed, strange behavior!

It may be that your Newton has moisture inside it (this is a pure guess). You might want to put it in an oven, set at absolutely no more than 100F, and leave it there for a few hours, to try to remove any potential moisture.

Other than moisture I can think of no reason it would misbehave...
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

Oven!!!

The Newton hasn't been exposed to any direct moisture in months.

I'll give the oven a go (gulp).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It's just a guess on my part; don't feel any obligation to try.

Your unit is about 4 years old now and we don't manufacture Newtons anymore, so a repair would be difficult.

The easiest thing to do is a hard reset, followed by another ride...
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

My smallest oven, a Breville, lowest temp is 120F.

I will try hard reset (left, middle and right buttons?). Can I use my current Cal or better off with fresh data points?
blp

Post by blp »

Reset = right, center, left and bottom. I always forget the bottom.

Done.

I'm on a group ride tomorrow, we'll see. I hope that's all that is needed, although a new Aeropod wouldn't be a bad thing.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blp wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:08 pm Reset = right, center, left and bottom. I always forget the bottom.

Done.

I'm on a group ride tomorrow, we'll see. I hope that's all that is needed, although a new Aeropod wouldn't be a bad thing.
If you do upgrade, make sure to use the 30% discount for trade-ins!
John Hamann