Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Newton FW 5.18 is now available

Post by Velocomp »

FW 5.18 does the following:

• Corrects an issue with TT bikes where reported watts might be too high
• Corrects an issue with Fat Bikes where rolling resistance might be too low
• Improved power filtering—reduces watts jumpiness

You can access this firmware from Isaac, using the command "Device/Check Online for Firmware Update..."
John Hamann
Zoltan

Re: Newton FW 5.18 is now available

Post by Zoltan »

Hi,

Yesterday I updated my Newton+ to FW 5.18.

Today I had my first ride with my new bike, a highracer recumbent. I mention it, because I could not install my Newton+ in a traditional way, the only position when I could place Newton+ to make the display visible for me was skewed sideways abit and also inclined at least 45%. I konow it is some kind of horror, but I had no other option.

I made a cal ride as always when I change the postiion of Newton, but I got a cal error message and "do cal" was flashing. I made as much as either 8 or 10 cal rides and all of them failed, but bang the last one was OK. To be fair I am not sure whether the new firmware made this craziness, it could easily be the strange positioning of the unit.

But there was a phenomenon which has nothing to do with the positioning. The first cal ride was the usual 1.6 km (1 mile) out and back. But when I made the second attempt, I did not get "turn 180°after 1.6 km, but only after 5 minutes. The 3rd was again a 1.6 km out and back, but the 4th was again a 5 minutes out and back. And so on.

It is also interesting that when I made the succesful last cal ride, I made around 6 km out and 6 km back. it was intentionally so long and the back was not a real back, I did not turn, just braked at a stop light. And on contrary to all of my logics, this fake cal ride, when the elevation profile of the ride was not even symmetrical, was finally successful.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If your Newton is mounted at a 45° angle, that is way outside of spec!

The Newton should be approximately level on the bike.

There is no way the Newton can, or should , work when it is installed outside of the instructions.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I supposed so.

And the 1.6km&back + 5 min&back sequence is a rule of cal riding in fact?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Zoltan wrote:I supposed so.

And the 1.6km&back + 5 min&back sequence is a rule of cal riding in fact?
I do not understand what your question is.

I would not trust any readings with the Newton mounted and calibrated in this manner.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I meant why there are two cal ride protocols alternating each other on Mewton+ with FW 5.18.

But you are right when mention the lack of trust.

Therefore I will repeat this sorta multiple cal ride test on my road bike, where the mount is properly positioned for more years and I intentionally make the first cal ride in a way to make it a failed one. And I will see whether the 2nd cal ride will be managed by the unit to be a 5 1.6 km out and back (as the first cal ride is) or a 5 min out and back (EDITED: which is the official cal ride protocol for many years, in the old days it was a 2 km out & back)

Then I will ask the same. Why there are two protocols of the cal ride alternating each other.
EDITED: I start to think it was a coincidence that each second cal ride was just at a speed of around 19.2 km/h with my new recumbent, so I got exactly 1.6 km for the 5 minutes. If so then sorry for the confusion I made
Last edited by Zoltan on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I do not understand your question. There has been zero change to the cal ride procedure. Please consult the Newton instructions
John Hamann
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

if the fixes do not affect any aspect of the Newton that I use is there any benefit or downside to not doing the update? If a future update comes along that is important do you need all previous updates to access it?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

All firmware updates include all changes from prior updates.

There's no reason to update if you don't think the changes described will benefit you.
John Hamann