Tilt measuring and repairing bad tilt eide

josedeya

Tilt measuring and repairing bad tilt eide

Post by josedeya »

Hi,
Q1: I´m not understanding something propperly and maybe someone could help.
With my Newton installed I put my bike on an alImost flat surface and it shows 0,5% of tilt, I turn the bike 180 degrees and it shows 1,2%. Even I understand this is not an inclinometer, should it show the same figure with an oposite sign if I turn the bike 180 degress? Something like 0,5 to one side and -0,5% to the other?

Q2: I try to understand how the repair ride for bad tilt cal works and I noticed it´s changing my Crr a lot and giving really high power values. Someone knows how this works?

Q3: I extract an out and back section from a ride and check for callibration (attached). I noticed that it´s showing a negative Fric coeficient while increasing the riding tilt. How I need to understand this?

Any help?

Thanks & best regards!
Attachments
iBike_2015_04_02_0953_25_km_O&BOnly.ibr
(312.43 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Pete

Re: Tilt measuring and repairing bad tilt eide

Post by Pete »

In #1 scenario I do a Tilt Cal. This gets the tilt showing +/- reciprocal values although sometimes takes a few goes. Also I prefer to confirm the slope in 'tilt cal' mode as it stays on that display longer than regular slope display which might revert to main screen before it has settled to an accurate value (although there are settings re that).

For ride repairs I find via the 'analyze route' option works best - ie select known start and ending elevations.
I also always select 'wind changed' & 'drafting' (I wish these could be configured as default settings)

This might not be "best practice" and perhaps even n/a for v5, however gives me results I have confidence in.
josedeya

Post by josedeya »

Thanks Pete
Im using V5 so tilt cal is not available any more.
Cheers
Jose
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Do a regular ride and at the end of the ride press and hold the center button to reset the ride.

The next time you do a ride, check the tilt as you have previously and it should be correct.

However, I can't remember if it does this auto correct after a ride or only after a cal ride?
Fernando
Russ

Post by Russ »

Pete and Fernando,

My recollection and recent experience is that the auto correction of tilt is every ride. And is effective five minutes into the first ride.

I replaced my speed/cadence sensor recently which I wanted to save in my profile. So saving and sending it back to the iBike caused the tilt to be off. Next ride all was fine. Obviously the tilt in my profile was off a tad.

Russ
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Dear Jose:

I can confirm what Russ is stating. I had some initial issues with the front mount slightly twisting (I had not used double-sided tape) on the handlebar. This caused the tilt angle to shift about 1-1.5 degrees after a few rides . Nevertheless, about 5 minutes into the ride, every ride, the Newton self-corrects the Tilt Angle.

I noticed the shift in the tilt angle by taking as reference the tilt angle (slope %) right after the initial Cal Ride, and then occasionally re-checking it in the exact place in my basement - draw a straight line with white chuck on the cement). One could avoid doing a Cal Ride in case the tilt angle shifts, by following the upper procedure (to get consistent results) and readjusting the angle of the mount on the bike, until the current slope % (in Hill-Wind menu) matches the slope %, taken as reference in the beginning. Also, when I do this I make sure to manually adjust the altitude to the correct one.

Regards,

George.
josedeya

Post by josedeya »

Thanks to all of you! Will test it during my next ride!
Cheers

Jose
josedeya

Post by josedeya »

Hi,
I did the reset after a ride and the issue is still there. Measuring 0,4% to one side and 0,8% when turning the bike 180*
Any other suggestion?
Thanks and regards
Jose
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

josedeya wrote:Hi,
I did the reset after a ride and the issue is still there. Measuring 0,4% to one side and 0,8% when turning the bike 180*
Any other suggestion?
Thanks and regards
Jose
Tilt measurement is important only when riding the bike. The Newton's slope measurement also accounts for the weight of the cyclist. When you sit on the bike the bike's tilt shifts slightly. Your measurement is on an unloaded bike.

Nothing is wrong.
John Hamann
josedeya

Post by josedeya »

Thanks John, I think that sitting on the bike will increase the tilt meassuring as I will be adding more weight to the rear wheel. Dont you think so? In fact if I sit I will modify the angle in the same ammount no matter where the bike is pointing so I expect to have something like ,5 and ,9 or close to those figures. Your view? I'll try and let you know.
Cheers
Jose
Russ

Post by Russ »

Hi Hosedeya,

I will take a crack at this. The old iBike, before auto correction, relied on the tilt being zeroed with no weight on the bike and the cal ride then established an offset from that with you on it. The zero is still a prereq for a cal ride.

The auto correct, compensates both for your weight on the bike and the zero weight tilt being slightly off as the total correction factor, with or without a perfect zero with no rider, is the objective for the ride time data collection.

Of course, if you have taken care to obtain the zero and maintain it, you can use that as a guage to check if the iBike has slipped or your frame is bent, handlebars rotatated or whatever. :-)

Regards,
Russ