Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Firmware 5.0 is coming

Post by Velocomp »

FW 5.0 is now available for pre-order!

http://store.ibikesports.com/ibike-newt ... pgrade-key

FW 5.0 includes some of the best improvements we've ever made:

User Configurable Screens

One of our most-requested features is added with FW 5.0! Use ISAAC 3.0 to select the fields you'd like to display on your Newton's screen; FW 5.0 responds accordingly. Simple, easy, personal...

Dynamic Power Smoothing

When you train with power you want your power display to show smooth numbers during long intervals, yet respond instantly to power surges when you sprint. These two, seemingly contradictory demands are perfectly met by Dynamic Power Smoothing, an innovative feature exclusive to FW 5.0.

Watch this video that shows how Dynamic Power Smoothing works, head-t0-head against traditional power smoothing methods used by the Garmin 810: http://youtu.be/gcD_dAMCzHM

Automatic Profile Selection

Automatic Profile Selection makes it brain-dead easy to move your Newton from bike-to-bike. No buttons to push, no "profile numbers" to remember. The Newton automatically figures out which bike you're on...you just ride. Watch APS in action in this short video: http://youtu.be/5lEcRAkLXME

Send Newton Power to ANT+ bike computer ("GT")

Own a Garmin or other ANT+ bike computer? With FW 5.0, your Newton power is transmitted automatically to any ANT+ bike computer!

Simplified Setup and Calibration

FW 5.0 lets you select between good/better/best accuracy, with always-great power consistency! FW 5.0 makes using a power meter literally as simple as hopping on your bike and riding. Or, refine your setup with ISAAC software, or dial-in your Newton for maximum accuracy with an optional Cal Ride. The choice is yours!

Full Interoperability with ISAAC version 3.0

New, ISAAC 3.0 software was designed specifically for FW 5.0. With FW 5.0 installed on your Newton, you'll get access to all of ISAAC 3.0 innovations, including simplified setup and calibration, customized profile editing, user-configurable display screens, and more.

FW 5.0 is compatible with any iBike Newton

No matter which Newton you own, or when it was manufactured, FW 5.0 will give you state-of-the art performance.

NOTE: FW 5.0 disables features exclusive to Zuuum power meters.

FW 5.0 is also compatible with almost all iBike Newton upgrades

If you've already purchased other upgrade keys, such as Newton Tracker, Indoor Trainer, PowerStroke, and CdA, your Newton will continue to provide those features.

FW 5.0 does not support PowerPak upgrade features.

Future-proof

Once your FW 5.0 key is installed, you'll have no-charge access to any future updates of FW 5.x.

How it works

After you purchase the FW 5.0 upgrade, you'll get an email from us requesting the serial number of your Newton. Once we get your serial number we will send your upgrade key, which you will install with ISAAC. After your key is installed you will be able to download and install FW 5.0
John Hamann
ldmitruk

Re: Firmware 5.0 is coming

Post by ldmitruk »

Will the automatic profile detection be able to handle multiple profiles for the same bike? For instance, I use one set of wheels for training and another for racing. The training wheel are heavier while my race wheels are lighter with a deeper aero profile.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You can create multiple profiles for the same bike, just as you are doing now.

However, since we use ANT+ wireless ID for bike identification, your Newton won't know you've changed equipment on the bike.

So, this is the one situation where you'll still have to change profiles manually. In Isaac, you can give your profiles a name, so at least it will be clear which is which!
John Hamann
KenS

Post by KenS »

Been trying to make the purchase and pay with Paypal. But when it sends me back to the store for shipping details it says "checking out as guest" and wont let me use my email address because it's "already in use". :(
So I tried again through Paypal and same problem. So then I used a "spare" email account I have and it worked but hoping I'm not going to be charged twice. I think it's ok as I only got one email from Paypal
-- Ken
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

KenS wrote:Been trying to make the purchase and pay with Paypal. But when it sends me back to the store for shipping details it says "checking out as guest" and wont let me use my email address because it's "already in use". :(
So I tried again through Paypal and same problem. So then I used a "spare" email account I have and it worked but hoping I'm not going to be charged twice. I think it's ok as I only got one email from Paypal
Send Tom Gore an email and he will tell you how to make the order. tgore@velocomp.com
John Hamann
JulianBoulter

Post by JulianBoulter »

Sounds great John, what's the 'other data' option in the configurable screens function? Does that mean we can add any other data of our choice?

By the way, there is a review of ibike in the UKs premier cycling magazine this week 'cycling weekly'. It got 7 out if 10. The reviewer spent most of the short review saying that he was somewhat surprised to see how it compared with an SRM, quite frustrating that they didn't touch on any of the great features such as wind measurement, they didn't even mention Issac :(
Pete

Post by Pete »

Julian, I'm assuming 'other data' means Cadence/HRM/Calories as per current displays
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

JulianBoulter wrote: By the way, there is a review of ibike in the UKs premier cycling magazine this week 'cycling weekly'. It got 7 out if 10. The reviewer spent most of the short review saying that he was somewhat surprised to see how it compared with an SRM, quite frustrating that they didn't touch on any of the great features such as wind measurement, they didn't even mention Issac :(
Please send a link to the review, or copy/post here!
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Pete wrote:Julian, I'm assuming 'other data' means Cadence/HRM/Calories as per current displays
Correct
John Hamann
bruno.oli

Post by bruno.oli »

Hi,

i have been looking into the new update, and i think there is one important option in the screen that is missing - "Lap Time". for me is very important to see watts /zone, lap time and cadence when i´m doing repeat series.

ex. screen

5:40 min
250watts (zone 4)
90 cad

thank you
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We will see if we can add this in a future update.
John Hamann
bruno.oli

Post by bruno.oli »

ok, that would be great.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I am pondering whether I need fw 5 or not.

1) Do I understand well, that right now it is not possible to put wind, slope and temperature together on one page? If not, will it be possible or is there any hardware- (I mean display-related) or software-related obstacle to make it possible?

2) I never bought any key as a standalone product, all of them I have were parts/features of my units at the times of my purchases. The keys are sent to buyers via email, aren't they? So there is no post-mailing, right?

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) At present, temperature can't be configured on a main screen. In a future (free) FW update we will make it possible to show temperature on a main screen.

2) Keys are sent by email.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Velocomp wrote:1) At present, temperature can't be configured on a main screen. In a future (free) FW update we will make it possible to show temperature on a main screen.
I'll buy fw 5 when I will hear about this update. I promise. I'd really love to see all of these three environmental variables on the same page.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Zoltan wrote:
Velocomp wrote:1) At present, temperature can't be configured on a main screen. In a future (free) FW update we will make it possible to show temperature on a main screen.
I'll buy fw 5 when I will hear about this update. I promise. I'd really love to see all of these three environmental variables on the same page.
There are a bunch of things I would consider more useful and higher priority
joaovilela

Post by joaovilela »

Please could you confirm that ibike power meter is compatible with Garmin Forerunner 920xt? Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

joaovilela wrote:Please could you confirm that ibike power meter is compatible with Garmin Forerunner 920xt? Thanks.
Yes, the Newton 5 sends its power signal to any ANT+ compatible computer. The 920xt will work with the Newton 5.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

2) Keys are sent by email.
Re 1: since I have fw 4.14 on my Newton+ I can't check what the latest fw version is. Is it still 5.0 or has a new release been launched? If latter, can temperature on a main screen be displayed?

And an idea coming from my latest experience. If speed is displayed in the upper box of the main screen and Auto Hill is switched to ON, it works as it should do. If slope is in the upper box, certainly Auto Hill has no effect on it, which is more than logical. But if Wind speed is in the upper box and Auto Hill is switched to ON, there is no effect on the upper box, even if one is climbing.

Why not to let Auto Hill "override" wind speed?
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Re 1: Has the "future update" been happened?

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Nope
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Zoltan wrote:Re 1: Has the "future update" been happened?

Thanks
What about for the time being? Happened or fully abandoned the change in question?

Thx
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are working very hard on PowerPod, our next generation of power meter.

Newton 6, which we introduced in August, is our most current version of the product.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I meant this one as future upgrade, John, and wished to ask whether finally it happened or fully abandoned as something to be done.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Very honestly, with everything else that is going on right now, it is not high on our list.
John Hamann