big learning curve with ibike TT setup

bobbyperry

big learning curve with ibike TT setup

Post by bobbyperry »

well for anyone interested in my path to getting a great TT setup. firstly my wife and myself have standard type road bikes which we have converted to TT bikes. mine a bit more than dianes in the fact i have bullhorn bars with TT bars attached and bar end TT shifters. before owning the ibikes i set the bikes up to what i thought would be a good TT position. stem slammed down on headtube , armrests sitting on top of handlebars etc etc. doing a few time trials we both posted ok times but not what we would be proud of. we blame lack of doing this discipline for so long. we are mainly mtbers now days. anyway we both get ibikes and set them up with remote wind sensors on TT bikes and normal set up on mtb bike and standard road bike. once all bikes set up with cal rides we seemed to get nice readings of watts on all bikes apart from TT bikes in which our numbers were very jumpy , figures very low compared to other bikes??? ok to cut to the chase. mistake 1 was putting remote sensor running from units mouth port with hose out between TT bars and supported by zip ties at front of tt bars. bumpy roads to much vibration distorting air catch. fix by running hose out smooth to under bull horn bars. mistake 2. did an ftp test on road bike where my ftp tested at 310w. next day did a 40km TT and in a big effort did flat TT in 1hr 5min ave speed 37kph and ave watts 225w!!!!! not happy jan. so i called my mate mark fenner who is one of australia,s top coaches with power and a huge talent i TT,s. he told me a common mistake us old school riders do is try to ride to low in the front resulting in an aero but a position where it closes our hip flex up and restricting our ability to put power down. so i lifted the stem about 1.5cm and the armrests about 1.5cm also. mistake 3. when looking at my position now i was more upright, looking more like my road bike position , only with arms closer together being on the TT bars. so it got me thinking that when i do device setup for cal ride that maybe i would now be better to click the riding in drops box rather than the time trial box where the ibike thinks i,m in a super slick aero position. well i went out today with all of the above changes. what a huge change!! i was able to put power down soooo much better with more opened up position , no jumpy watts with stable hose setup , could hold a steady 300+ watts on 10sec smoothing, and numbers far more accurate with set up cal in drops position. hope this helps anyone going through the drama i have but i can honestly say the ibike has my trust now as a TT tool.
Last edited by bobbyperry on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: big learning curve with ibike TT setup

Post by Velocomp »

Nice story, all the way around!

Good advice on making sure RWS tube is secure.

Even better advice about ride position. I've heard elsewhere that riding too aero hurts power because of restrictive position.

And interesting to see how you used drops setting to get middle CdA.
John Hamann
bobbyperry

Post by bobbyperry »

yer thanks john. to be honest i was about to give up on ibike as a TT powermeter. but working it out was the key. i,ve owned powertaps and ridden srm before and can say the ibike is up there with them and better in some ways.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

bobbyperry wrote:yer thanks john. to be honest i was about to give up on ibike as a TT powermeter. but working it out was the key. i,ve owned powertaps and ridden srm before and can say the ibike is up there with them and better in some ways.
WOW, that is great to hear!!!
John Hamann