Newton Tracker sync problem

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newton Tracker sync problem

Post by Velocomp »

Our server power supply failed, but it will be replaced today. We apologize for the inconvenience.
John Hamann
amet

Post by amet »

Your apologies are accepted, but maybe this isn't enough any more. The app may be free, the newton tracker option isn't.
So I'm asking clearly, what kind of reliability can we expect for our money? I'm aware that 100% is not possible at that rate, but since my first post it dropped far below.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Well, let's see. We've had NT running now for over three years (1065 days), and in that time we've had about 10 days of down time, most of which was due to the unfortunate fact that the server broke just a few hours after our server guy departed for a week-long vacation.

So, including his vacation that's a 99% up-time in real-time. We think that is pretty good.

Most certainly we'd like things to work perfectly 100% of the time, and we agree the server being down is perplexing and frustrating. But the fact is that, when server operation is restored, all data is recovered. By that standard NT has provided its value 100% of the time.
John Hamann
deanks

Post by deanks »

I purchased my Newton in June and have used Tracker for 20 rides since then. First I will say that I love my Newton and cannot congratulate you enough on its design, features, and (to me) magical abilities. Having said that, I sympathize with amet's frustrations below. While Tracker may be reliable 99% of the time I have had to wait one or more days to upload my ride three times out of 20. That's a 15% failure rate for me. I still love my Newton and will live with the short frustrations. I hope the new power supply solves the problem.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We use NT and don't like these problems, either.

I just wish our Comcast cable was as reliable as the NT server... :-)
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Server is up. Bad power supply was replaced.

Thanks for your patience.
John Hamann
amet

Post by amet »

OK, I accept your answer.
I don't know about previous years since I bought my iBike Newton at the end of November last year. I haven't really counted, but I think that 10 days is a low estimation. Moreover, the vast majority of these days were the last 2 months, hence my frustration and my question. I ride almost every day, so a week of downtime is almost 25% in a month. But let's hope bad luck has run out now.

For your information, I like my Newton very much too. The small issues I had were mostly due to myself. Apart from rain and crosswinds, but that's for an other topic.
amet

Post by amet »

FYI: the server is down again.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, it is down.
John Hamann
amet

Post by amet »

Don't tell me that the server is down again.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

No, it is not down.
John Hamann
amet

Post by amet »

Velocomp wrote:No, it is not down.
OK,thank you. It must have been an other problem then. I was not able to upload yesterdays ride but today everything returned to normal.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

NT server is down

Post by Velocomp »

NOTICE: as of the evening of July 7, the NT server is down. The support guy is on vacation, so it won't be available until July 11.

Keep riding with your NT app, and after the server is fixed you will be able to add GPS data to your PowerPod/Newton rides
John Hamann
amet

Re: NT server is down

Post by amet »

Velocomp wrote:NOTICE: as of the evening of July 7, the NT server is down. The support guy is on vacation, so server won't be available until July 11.

Keep riding with your NT app, and after the server is fixed you will be able to add GPS data to your PowerPod/Newton rides
Same story as last year. :( :shock: :roll:
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Not quite the same story...we were able to get it going remotely!

NT server is back in business.
John Hamann