Tracker data completely incorrect

blp

Tracker data completely incorrect

Post by blp »

Hi;

I used Tracker today and the file is correct. I did a Cal Ride which Tracker recorded, Newton started recording after the Cal Ride. The GPS route, hmm, sort of accurate - iPhone not as accurate as Garmin 800), but moving time is off - WAY OFF! Elapsed time 1h53 (Tracker); moving time 1h05 (Isaac.) Tracker moving time 0h12:57

Tracker total distance 10.4 km, Isaac total distance 30.82 km. Remember, the GPS track is OK.

I don't have Tracker unlocked on my Newton, I wanted to test Tracker accuracy before buying the unlock.

What's up? Is the data in the app not accurate as a stand-alone. Is the data reconciled when merged with the iBike ride?

Isaac file attached. Tracker file on my account. brucedaina@shaw.ca

Thanks
Attachments
iBike_08_24_2014_1014_31_km.ibr
(323.55 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Tracker data completely incorrect

Post by Velocomp »

I strongly suspect your Tracker data is completely correct...

1) In our experience the iPhone's GPS tracking is far more accurate that Garmin. That's not a slam on Garmin; it is a compliment to Apple. We aren't responsible for the operation of either GPS system.

2) The NT app captures GPS data. Isaac merges the GPS data into the ride file; Isaac is where the magic happens.

3) You have two separate ride files: Cal Ride and longer ride. In NT then there would have been one total ride. Isaac will correctly split the NT data into the two GPS parts

4) I don't know what "Tracker moving time" is. NT records speed and position for as long as it is running, and reports it as elapsed time. Then, Isaac parses the GPS data and adds it to the ride file data as appropriate. It sounds like the 12:57 might have been the length of your Cal Ride.

5) In general, NT elapsed time will be longer than ride file time. That's because ride file records time only when the bike is moving. NT records time until the app is stopped.

Attached is a ride file I did last week. You'll note that Isaac (magically) figured out that part of my route was on a ferry! A detail you can't see clearly in the map, but which is in the data, is that the ferry took a slightly different route on the "out" leg when compared to the "return" leg. I don't know how a Garmin would sort out all of this...

No, I did not ride my bike across the water :-) The elapsed time on NT was 2:09:36, but actual ride time was only 1:00:50. Note that total distance in NT is about 18 miles, but that the ride file shows only 11 miles of riding (I don't get credit for the ferry portion...)
Attachments
IMG_3573.PNG
IMG_3573.PNG (258.11 KiB) Viewed 11585 times
Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 7.40.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 7.40.51 AM.png (859.1 KiB) Viewed 11590 times
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

Thanks for the info John.

That's interesting the comparison of Apple and Garmin.

On point 4, I was referring to NT > My Rides > select ride > Total Distance; Elapsed Time; RIDE TIME ; etc... The Cal Ride was 9'44".

I rode Vashon Island earlier this year with my Vector / Garmin 500 combo. Garmin did include the ferry as part of the ride. It took quite a bit of fiddling to deal with the ferry.

My question was spurred by the ride summary in NT. NT Total distance 10.4, Isaac measured 30+; Elapsed time was OK; NT Ride Time was 12'57", Isaac was 1h05'03". NT included Cal Ride, Isaac not; NT Average speed 47.9 km/h (I will be accepting offers from any and all Pro Tour teams ;) ), Isaac 28.4

I suspect I may be comparing files that are not comparable, seeing I did a cal ride.

The GPS trace of your ride seems like one would expect - accurate in Isaac.

I'll use NT today, no Cal Ride.

Thanks
Last edited by blp on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
blp

Post by blp »

Bought the Tracker unlock key. Did my ride. Uploaded ride file and merged the NT file . WAY OFF

When I Sync the NT in Isaac, I get this warning:

" The Newton Tracker data downloaded for this ride is questionable. This may be due to an incorrect date/time setting in
the Newton. The start time for this ride is currently shown as 8/25/14 5:16:35 PM. Would you like Isaac to repair
date/time for this file?"

I clicked "Yes"

On the Google Earth render, I cheated 15 blocks, completely missed the bike route, rode through a mall parking lot, flew over a park, took a shortcut through a forest and missed the nice swoopy road (I didn't really.) In short, a few sections "as the crow flies"

The NT shows Ride Time of 12'16". The Isaac file shows 1h31'41"

So much of the ride in simply wrong. I use an iPhone 3GS. (Soon an update to a 5S or 6.)

I don't know if you have access to the NT file, but if you do, you'll see what I mean.

Is this an iOS issue or a NT problem or user error?

Bruce
Attachments
IsaacScreen Grab.jpg
IsaacScreen Grab.jpg (49.22 KiB) Viewed 11525 times
NT screen
NT screen
NT_ride.png (92.83 KiB) Viewed 11528 times
iBike_08_25_2014_1716_41_km.ibr
(514.57 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
blp

Post by blp »

Hello.... anyone out there?

RSVP.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blp wrote:Hello.... anyone out there?

RSVP.
Just got back from Eurobike...

Your ride file does not have the NT data embedded in it. Please reopen the file, use the command "Device/Newton Tracker Get GPS Data..." to remerge the information. Then, save this file, and post the saved file.
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

Tried as suggested. Got an error message about questionable GPS data.

I had Isaac make corrections and saved. File attached.

BTW, I hope Interbike went well for you.
Attachments
iBike_08_25_2014_1716_41_km.ibr
(310.07 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
NT_Error.jpg
NT_Error.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 11299 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I opened the file, and no GPS data was included in it.

Open your file again, click "Yes" on the repair date/time. Hopefully that will merge the data.

Then, post the merged file.

PS: your Newton data looks great!
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

I did exactly what you suggested in the last post, click "yes" and merged the files. That was the file you received.

I'm glad the core files are good!

I'm going to try again tomorrow morning.

I'll upload that file.
blp

Post by blp »

I re-merged the file and I think this may have the GPS data embedded.
Attachments
iBike_08_25_2014_1716_41_km_GPS_Merged.ibr
(372.66 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, the GPS data is embedded in this file.

Most certainly your GPS data is a bit screwy. There are places where it is just plain wrong.

There is a setting in the Tracker app for GPS power saving. I have power saving set to off; what is the setting you are using?

Other than this, the only thing I can think of is that the 3GS does not have a great GPS tracking capability. I have used by an iPhone 4 and 5, and both provide very accurate GPS information.
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

Thanks John.

I have a 5 year old 3GS, (it really doesn't owe me anything) and NT GPS Power saving was on. I have turned it off. I'm going for a ride this afternoon and we'll see how it does. The battery life on this phone is getting pretty short. I have ordered an iPhone 6 which should have way better battery life and I a newer GPS chip.

I'll upload the file.
blp

Post by blp »

Finally got out for a ride with Tracker on my iPhone 6 - perfect. Problem seems to be with iPhone 3. You should be able to find the Tracker file for today on your cloud server.

However, I have problems with my Newton locking up all the time - even when plugging on to USB. In fact, none of the ride was recorded! Nothing. No file for today!

Is there a way to do a re-install of the software / firmware?

Thanks for the help.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please contact Tom Gore at technicalsupport@velocomp.com and he will help you.
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

I have left two email messages outlining the freezing of my Newton, and have yet to hear back.The latest was on October 20.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blp wrote:I have left two email messages outlining the freezing of my Newton, and have yet to hear back.The latest was on October 20.
I am very sorry. Please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com, and copy Tom at tgore@velocomp.com and technicalsupport@velocomp.com

We will take care of you quickly.
John Hamann