Discrepancy between Isaac & exported csv Max power

funkmeister

Discrepancy between Isaac & exported csv Max power

Post by funkmeister »

Hi!
First off I must say that this has been a very nifty function that I was most happy to purchase. It's served me well thus far (all of 2 rides) with its hassle free use.

One thing I have noticed though: I've noticed that the Strava Max power figure is higher than the one indicated in Isaac for the same ride. I was wondering why. This higher figure is reflected in the exported CSV.

Anyone has had the same experience?

I've attached both files which I hope will shed some light.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
iBike_08_21_2013_0435_49_km.ibr
(394.43 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
iBike_08_21_2013_0435_49_km.csv
(666.17 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
racerfern

Re: Discrepancy between Isaac & exported csv Max power

Post by racerfern »

What did you get for Strava?

I see 695 in Isaac and 723 in the CSV file. Not sure why there's a difference but regardless it certainly isn't significant. This is a moment in time so to speak.
Interestingly the avg of both the ibr and the csv file are 162.9
Fernando
funkmeister

Post by funkmeister »

Thanks for the quick reply Fernando. The numbers are as you've observed in Isaac and Strava respectively.

You're right to note that the difference is hardly significant, but I'm wondering about the slight loss of fidelity given that it's just a conversion of format for the same data points.

Best,
Isaac
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Last year we changed Isaac's plots to show 5 second smoothing by default, and for a period of time we continued to show the 1 second max power in the stats. Since there was some confusion why the stats didn't match the plots, we made the decision to change the stats to use the graph's 5 sec setting.

The max power now shown in Isaac's stats is the 5 sec max power. 5 Second Max Power is a much more meaningful measure of your max effort than the prior 1 second power.

But the data is still exported at the 1 second recording rate, so most 3rd party SW and web sites will probably show the 1 s max power, which is higher.

Travis
funkmeister

Post by funkmeister »

Thanks for laying down the context Travis. It's crystal clear.

Very happy user of the Newton Tracker on my Android phone. Really appreciate the work you guys put in to continuously better the product.

Best,
Isaac