PowerStroke and New Garmin speed/cadence sensor (no magnets)

yabriel

PowerStroke and New Garmin speed/cadence sensor (no magnets)

Post by yabriel »

Was wondering if the PowerStroke feature works with the new garmin speed/cadence sensor (Don't use any magnets), because set-up on the Isaac software ask for the cadence sensor location (above or under chain), and since that new sensor doesn't mount like that, will it affect PowerStroke data?

Thanks in advance.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerStroke and New Garmin speed/cadence sensor (no magn

Post by Velocomp »

I haven't used this sensor. Someone else on the forum has, however, with PowerStroke. My memory is that they made sure the crank was in the same position at the beginning of each ride, so that PS data would be consistent.
John Hamann
entwistlejon

Post by entwistlejon »

I also have a Garmin standalone cadence sensor mounted on the left crank arm. It's not clear which custom angle I should choose when editing my Powerstroke bike's profile (if any?), so I've chosen the option "Not Set".

Whilst it could be argued it doesn't matter just as long as the same position is chosen every time for consistency, in my case it does matter as I'm running Rotor Q Rings and I'm hoping Powerstroke will help me optimise the best position for said Q Rings (which is why I upgraded to Powerstroke in the first place).

Can Velocomp confirm that "Not Set" is the correct option?

Thanks in advance.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Not set will work. Just start from the same position in each of your rides.
John Hamann
yabriel

Post by yabriel »

By start, you mean when we power on the Newton, or when we actually start pedalling?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

yabriel wrote:By start, you mean when we power on the Newton, or when we actually start pedalling?
When you actually start pedaling.
John Hamann
yabriel

Post by yabriel »

ok nice, Thank you!
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

it is important to remember (this is confirmed by Garmin) that the cadence sensor trigger point is from what ever point it wakes up in. This means if the crank arm that the sensor is on in at 6 o'clock that is where the trigger point will be. For power stroke there is an assumption that the trigger point is the left rear chain stay either above or below and though in the big picture of things it is not the end of the world the fact is it may skew the power stroke data because unless you consistently leave your left crank arm in line with the chain stay at the end of the ride (when the sensor goes to sleep) then when it wakes up it will not be near the correct position ie in line with the left chain stay. So if power stroke data is important to you then you need to let the sensor go to sleep in line with the left chain stay.
wormscoffer

Post by wormscoffer »

So, could someone outline the recommended procedure please?

Do you perhaps Velcro your crank arm to the left chain-stay and leave it like that until you have the Newton woken up and are ready to ride. Wouldn't carrying the bike out of the shed wake it up and would that matter?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your Velcro idea is nice.

Nope, moving the bike out of the shed won't do anything, as long as the crank is not turning.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

If u once not bought the sensor yet, an alternative magnet-less sensor is the Wahoo RPM. That sensor starts at a set position and they sent me a photo.

If the file size is OK I will add it.

Too big. Going to see if I can change file size on iPad

The Wahoo sensor is a bit less faff and the powerstroke software allows you to select the unusual zero point.
EHB

Post by EHB »

This may be a cropped version of the photo
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.15 KiB) Viewed 24005 times
drashkum

Post by drashkum »

Hi,
I'm planning to buy power stroke in this blackfiday deal. I have a Garmin magnetless cadence sensor tied to my left crank and speed snsor to my front wheel. I just read the abov eposts. I have a query.

This is what I do before every ride. I switch on my Garmin 520 . I spin my front wheel to wake up my speed sensor until I hear a beep sound in my Garmin . I lift up my back wheel and rotate the left crank anti clockwise so that back wheel spins so that the cadence sensor in left crank wakes up until I hear a beep sound and cadence sensor is detected in my Garmin. After these 2 I wake up my powerpod to see a green light and confirm that I hear a beep in my Garmin for detecting it again. I get on the cycle and rotate the crank in such a way that right crank is at 4o clock or 5 o clock position and then start pedaling away.

So what should I do now after I purchase my power stroke....? At what position should the crank be in before I start the ride? Should I not do the old routine?

Does anyone know how long it takes to Garmin magnetless cadence sensor to go back to sleep if I accidentally wake it up in wrong position?

Please let me know
drashkum

Post by drashkum »

Any clear idea on what I need to do is appreciated? I am just waiting to have a clear picture before I order in Black Friday deal..Can someone help me out

Drashkum
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your routine is fine. As long as you start your ride in the same crank position you will be fine.

The cadence sensor seems to stay awake for about 10 minutes after you stop pedaling.
John Hamann
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

Another question about setting up the powerstroke.

I have a Garmin cadence sensor that is self-contained - i.e. no magnet mounted on the chainstay. I never turn the pedals to connect up the cadence sensor to my Garmin 1000. It connects up almost instantly upon starting.

My typical routine is to spin the front wheel to awaken the speed sensor, then start the PowerPod. When both have registered with the Garmin, I mount my bike LEFT pedal down, and ride. I have set my PowerPod power stroke feature as "magnet below chain stay". Is that correct?

If for some reason, I resume a ride after stopping for coffee, with the RIGHT pedal down (may happen perhaps 1% of the time), how would that affect the power stroke readings?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, PowerStroke works with these magnet less sensors.

PowerStroke accumulates data over the entire length of a ride, so if you stop, don't worry if your pedal position is not identical when you restart the ride.
John Hamann
meste

Post by meste »

This post is quite old, and I would like to know from people who used Garmin sensors if this approach (always start pedalling from the same place) it worked. Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I have been using the Garmin sensor for a couple of years now, and it works just fine.
John Hamann
meste

Post by meste »

Velocomp wrote:Your routine is fine. As long as you start your ride in the same crank position you will be fine.
So just to be sure I am getting this right, if Velocomp could please confirm if this protocol is correct:
A- it does not matter where the left crank is positioned when the magnetless cadence sensor goes to sleep
B- it does not matter where left crank is positioned when you wake up the sensor (before connecting it to PP)
C- it only matters the position of the left crank when you start pedalling

I am quite sure about C, but not sure about A and B.

Thanbks