Senor and display issues/questions

anthonys

Senor and display issues/questions

Post by anthonys »

I just set up my Powerstroke and I think that I have almost everything working correctly. With that said I'm having a few problems.

1. I'm having an issue getting my HR monitor to work with my Powerstroke. I keep getting "HRT off" on my display. I know it's not the HR monitor because it works fine with my Suunto Watch. I saw on some of the other post that I should reset the HR monitor but that didn't seem to help either. I really won't mind if I could merge the data with Isaac when I merged the GPS info from the same watch but that doesn't seem to work either.

2. The second issue/question that I have is with the power display. Everything seems to be working but about every minutes to 30 seconds I a zero reading for my power, even though I'm moving around 18-20mph and pedaling. I'm not drafting either.

Ideas??
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Senor and display issues/questions

Post by Velocomp »

1. Make sure your HR strap is activated, then do a Scan. Look for the message HR FOUND. If you see the message then your Newton is paired to the HR strap.

2. Please post a ride file illustrating your problem.
John Hamann
anthonys

Post by anthonys »

I've tried scanning a few times but the only thing I get is Hrt off. I've tried to reset the HR monitor but that gets the same result.

I attached a file but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough data. The issue that I'm seeing is more of the display on the power stroke while I'm riding. I just don't see how I won't be generating power while I'm moving (pedaling of course).
Attachments
iBike_03_19_2014_1722_2_Miles_HiDef.csv
Morning ride
(482.32 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is a .csv file. Please post your .ibr file.

Your Suunto strap may not be ANT+. If so the Newton won't be able to read it.
John Hamann
anthonys

Post by anthonys »

Sorry about that, this should be the right file type.

Regarding the HR, if it won't work with the newton is there a way to import and merge the data with the ride?
Attachments
iBike_03_19_2014_1722_2_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(683.98 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You have a number of issues with the ride file you sent:

1) There is no HR ID registered. Make sure your HR strap is awake and do a Scan; look for "HR Found". If you don't get that message, and your HR strap is working with your Suunto, then the strap is not ANT+

2) Your Profiles shows an ID for a DFPM. Do you own a power sensor? If not, somehow you did a pairing when a DFPM was nearby!

3) Your ride file has consistent, severe tail wind. Enter setup and you'll see the Cal Wind screen. What number is showing? It should be close to 0; if not click the center button to zero the reading, then do another short ride and post the result.
John Hamann
anthonys

Post by anthonys »

Update: I think that most of the problem was me. I reset everything and conducted another Cal Ride and made sure that the wind was zeroed out. That really seemed to be the issue. It looks like I'm getting normal power reading now and they are jumping around nearly as much.

Is there a way to set the power display to show a 3 or 5 second average power?

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
iBike_03_23_2014_0821_7_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(197.92 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

From the Newton manual:
SPECIAL FEATURE: Setting Display Filtering Time
Power measurement is extremely sensitive, so much so that your watts can vary
considerably even within a pedal stroke. Thus, wattage measurements can be jumpy.
The Newton includes a “filter” that smooths out wattage numbers displayed on your screen.
To access the filter, go to Setup/”Set Filt” (Set Filter). The number in the top of the screen
shows your current filter setting, in seconds. Available choices are 0 (no filtering), 2 (2
second), 3, 5, 10, and 30 second filtering. For example, when set to “5”, the wattage
number currently displayed on your Newton screen is averaged over a 5 second period.
If you’re a racer who does a lot of sprinting, then a 0 or 2 second filtering will give you very
fast response; however, your wattage display will be a bit jumpy.
For normal training and riding, a 3 or 5 second filtering is a good choice.
For long endurance and TT rides at a constant pace, 10 or 30 second filtering will give you
very smooth readings.
To change the filtering number click the center button, then select your choice with the top
arrow. Click the center button to save.

NOTE: NO MATTER WHICH DISPLAY FILTER SELECTION YOU MAKE, YOUR RIDE FILE DATA
WILL BE RECORDED WITHOUT ANY FILTERING, AND WITH HIGHEST SENSITIVITY.
CONTROLS IN THE ISAAC SOFTWARE WILL ALLOW YOU TO APPLY SMOOTHING FILTERING
TO YOUR RIDE FILE INFORMATION DISPLAYED IN THE ISAAC WINDOWS.
Pete

Post by Pete »

^ In relation to the above, am I correct that if you have the filter set to x seconds, that the 'max' power shown via totals will be the max x second ave power?
I seem to see different maximum values shown when I upload to Isaac and then to Golden Cheetah, and thought that would explain it.
anthonys

Post by anthonys »

Pete, Thanks for that.