Front/Back Motion and Slosh

texmurphy

Front/Back Motion and Slosh

Post by texmurphy »

This is a silly nerdy question...
I run two tall bottles on my frame. I have the impression that it might make a Tilt difference in how I drink bottles empty. On rides where I drink first the front bottle and then the back bottle (I don't switch front to back when empty), my Analysis Tilt Chart seems to show greater variance from zero. When I drink both bottles evenly there seems less variance. I don't know if iBike engineering factors in bottle usage and placement in the Newton design but likely is a minimal effect.

So real nerd question concerning PowerStroke and Bottles. A partially empty bottle can produce a lot of slosh in the Front/Back plane. Slosh correlates closely with pedal motion. Likely two partial bottles produce even more sloshing force. In PowerStroke development was bottle slosh (bs) part of the testing and would the Newton/PowerStroke sense bottle slosh?

I hope to test PS bs on a flat section both with full, partial, and empty bottles when I get a chance :geek:
Russ

Re: Front/Back Motion and Slosh

Post by Russ »

PS bs has a nice ring to it! :lol:
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Seriously, a clear water bottle can be useful in seeing the slosh. I would think that still water while pedaling would be good feedback for a smooth pedal stroke.

Also bottles mounted on aerobars might cause greater slosh effect than a vertical mounted bottles.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Texmurphy,

I could not resist the poke at PS bs :-)

However, for sure, if you can peddle to keep the water bottle from
sloshing, you have mastered smooth peddling and riding!

I was actually thinking more about the slosh of a partially filled water bottle
causing a random contribution to the force vectors and basically adding noise
to the calculations of the iBike.

If you fill the water bottles with heavy water, your argument may carry more weight!

Regards,
Russ