Several Powerstroke rides over same course

daidnik

Several Powerstroke rides over same course

Post by daidnik »

I hope I do not cause any offense with the burden of these files.

For those who are curious about the Powerstroke data.

These three sets of data were all over the same course except the first one has about 13 miles truncated off each end as I drove in the car a little ways to shorten the distance.

The subsequent two are exactly the same course.
Attachments
03_30_2013_0702_HiDef.ibr
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
04_13_2013_0631_HiDef.ibr
(4.09 MiB) Downloaded 322 times
04_20_2013_0526_HiDef.ibr
(4.03 MiB) Downloaded 328 times
racerfern

Re: Several Powerstroke rides over same course

Post by racerfern »

Wow! Our pedaling styles are so different! Although I think my style is quite erratic, I guess I keep the bars and the bike closer in the range though you've certainly got the power!

That is some impressive riding you've done. I'm surprised you have not set your FTP. 260?

Here's one of the short rides I've done. I generally don't use hi-def for longer rides but it seems I should. You can definitely see on longer rides that time takes its toll.
Attachments
FM_04_01_2013_1023_22_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(657.13 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Fernando
daidnik

Re: Several Powerstroke rides over same course

Post by daidnik »

I'm just glad to be riding like this again and trying to get back from a broken leg. I think that a lot of the lateral imbalance in my pedaling may still be residual from nerves still not working quite right. The whole feedback of footing and pressure inside/outside is still weird on my left foot. I've only really got those 3 rides with the Powerstroke data, but I think that I may have got a little improvement on the last ride over the previous one. One thing that makes comparison harder is the autoscaling of Isaac. On the last ride there is one weird spot that seems to indicate wasted power on the order of 50W. I have a hard time believing/understanding that one as I don't recall anything noteworthy about the crest of that hill.

Anyway, I'm excited about having this data and seeing what I can do with it. It isn't the easiest stuff to understand. I do see the effect of being more 'worn' toward the end and climbing those hills again on the way back. I think I'm mostly trying to focus on easing up on the power output and instead try to think of an overall efficiency objective of finishing the climbs on the way back with less physical & psychological duress.

When I first got the Gen3 unit I was focusing more on trying to hit the highest 20min pwr delivery, etc. I've been wary of that since this broken leg. I haven't been doing these 100 milers in more than 20 years, so having the power data and all of that in this context is a whole new thing. I've got to focus on a better understanding of my pedal stroke cycle and I think the dividends paid for that will be more of an overall efficiency/comfort factor.

I did take a look at your data and I see that the characteristics of the cycle look fairly different.

This matter of trying to correlate what we see thru the Powerstroke U/I in Isaac with cause & effect elements of pedaling style seems still like a bit of a 'dark art' to me. I'm hoping that there will be more discussion about that in this forum.

Thanks for the reply.