Quarq data being read by Newton

Henry

Quarq data being read by Newton

Post by Henry »

I've been trying to get one of my Quarq powermeters to work with the Newton (Tinkoff Edition) ---but haven't had any success. The Quarq is working fine, and transmits data without issue to the other head units I've got (Garmin 500/810, Joule). Here is information about my set-up that you may find relevant: The Newton is mounted on the right side of the handlebar using the approved mount. The bike has a Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor that is set-up to transmit only speed (magnet on the wheel only/not on the crank arm). On the left side of my handlebar, I usually use a Garmin 810; it has been receiving all data without a hiccup.

Newton seems to receive data for only a few seconds, and then flatlines to 0 for both power and cadence. I understand that Newton is supposed to record its own power measurement concurrently with the data stream coming from a DFPM, but here too the power is briefly recorded and then flatlines.

I've attached a small file as illustration. Any help you provide would be much appreciated.
Attachments
iBike_07_25_2015_1609_1_km.ibr
(16.82 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Quarq data being read by Newton

Post by Velocomp »

The problem is your speed/cadence sensor setup.

The Newton reads data from the speed/cadence sensor. When cadence = 0 power = 0, but since you aren't using the cadence magnet the Newton thinks there is zero cadence, thus forcing power to zero.

Attach the cadence magnet to your crank arm, make sure cadence is recording properly on your Newton, then all will be well!
John Hamann
Henry

Post by Henry »

Thanks for the quick reply, John. Your solution works: A cadence magnet has done the trick. All is well!!

I'll eventually use the Newton on some of my other bikes that also have other types of DFPMs, so I'm wondering if the same principle applies. For instance, I've got a Stages on my TT bike and PowerTaps on some older road bikes. As a rule, when I use the Newton, should I also use a speed/cadence sensor for both speed and cadence no matter which DFPM is being used?

As a side note, my main objective in using the Newton is to understand the impact of my position on CdA. For now, I will learn how to do this effectively on a road bike with a Quarq, but will soon put the Newton on a TT bike with a Stages DFPM(I've got the Newton TT kit).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Henry wrote:
I'll eventually use the Newton on some of my other bikes that also have other types of DFPMs, so I'm wondering if the same principle applies. For instance, I've got a Stages on my TT bike and PowerTaps on some older road bikes. As a rule, when I use the Newton, should I also use a speed/cadence sensor for both speed and cadence no matter which DFPM is being used?
You will need a speed sensor on any bike where you use the Newton. If it is a stand-alone speed sensor then cadence will come from the Stages or PT; if it is a combined speed/cadence sensor then you'll need to use the cadence crank magnet.
John Hamann