Strava Weighted Ave Power

mlindonb

Strava Weighted Ave Power

Post by mlindonb »

Hi

I'm new to PowerPod so apologies if this is a dumb question or has been covered already. Is the Strava Weighted Average Power estimate accurate when using a PowerPod? I went for a 62 mile ride yesterday with an average power of 171W but my weighted Average Power according to Strava was 191W which seems high.

Any help I would appreciate it, thanks Marc
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Strava Weighted Ave Power

Post by Velocomp »

Strava is a computer program that estimates power. Strava assumes that ground wind speed is always zero, and it uses topographic map information to compute slope changes.

As any cyclist knows, an "always zero ground wind" assumption is bogus. Furthermore, the slope changes that come from topographic maps are approximate at best.

So, the Strava guesstimate is just that. Trust your PowerPod...
John Hamann
funkiestj

Post by funkiestj »

I have my powerpod paired with my Garmin and the PP reports power to the garmin (I see it on my main screen). Garmin reports all sensor data to Strava when I upload.

Strava will take all the power readings Garmin reports and generate stats from that.

I wonder if Marc is asking about Strava stats derived from the PP reporting to his bike computer like I described above.

Presumably Isaac can be a bit more sophisticated when it analyzes the entirety of the raw data rather than the stream of power reading the PowerPod sends to Strava (via my Garmin edge 520)

(Also a powerpod noob)
--fj
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

funkiestj wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 pm I have my powerpod paired with my Garmin and the PP reports power to the garmin (I see it on my main screen). Garmin reports all sensor data to Strava when I upload.

Strava will take all the power readings Garmin reports and generate stats from that.

I wonder if Marc is asking about Strava stats derived from the PP reporting to his bike computer like I described above.

Presumably Isaac can be a bit more sophisticated when it analyzes the entirety of the raw data rather than the stream of power reading the PowerPod sends to Strava (via my Garmin edge 520)

(Also a powerpod noob)
--fj
I misunderstood the original post. Yes, if Garmin is reporting PP power data to Strava, then the stats will be correct (correct in whatever sense Strava calculates things).
John Hamann
funkiestj

Post by funkiestj »

also, I notice that strava puts a lightning bolt next to power numbers (e.g. on segments) when they are from an actual power meter rather than strava inferences.