GPS Data from iBike App

jemcclure

GPS Data from iBike App

Post by jemcclure »

I have an iPhone 4S and use it with the iBike Dash + Power. My phone is on iOS 8.2. Recently, the iBike app has stopped acquiring GPS data during my rides. All other ride information is being saved, but no GPS data. Therefore, when I upload the ride to Strava, I get a blank ride. Is this a known issue or is there a setting or something that I can tweak?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: GPS Data from iBike App

Post by Velocomp »

Make sure you're using the latest version of the iBike app, version 1.0.25.1

In Advanced Options of the iBike app, make sure the "Enable GPS" function is selected
Attachments
IMG_3984.PNG
IMG_3984.PNG (177.13 KiB) Viewed 15711 times
John Hamann
jemcclure

Post by jemcclure »

Thanks for the reply. I am using version 1.0.25.1 of the iBike app and I do have the "Enable GPS" function selected.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

jemcclure wrote:Thanks for the reply. I am using version 1.0.25.1 of the iBike app and I do have the "Enable GPS" function selected.
We will investigate. Maybe Apple has yet again changed something...
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When Apple released iOS8, they changed something (we don't know what) that caused the GPS and map function in the iBike app to break.

We find it very frustrating that Apple changes iOS in mysterious ways that breaks formerly-working apps. Why they do this we do not know, but it is a fact that this happens more often than it should. We believe Apple has a responsibility to maintain compatibility of apps across iOS versions...

Apple does a lousy job of documenting what it changes in iOS updates, and why. So, app developers have to hunt around to find what Apple broke, and then figure out how to fix it.

Because the +Power was discontinued 3 years ago, and because it is a time consuming and expensive process to update apps to fix problems that Apple created, we will not be releasing an update to the current version of the iBike app.

The primary purpose of the +Power, which is power measurement, still functions just fine. If it should ever occur (and I hope it doesn’t) that Apple releases an iOS update that breaks the power measurement function of the +Power, we will let you know and we will pull the app.

We have updated both the iBike app page and the +Power page to say that the map function no longer works with iOS8. Incredibly, Apple won’t allow us to update the iBike app page to remove the screen shot with the map in it. Nothing is easy...

You might want to search around some forums to see if you can reinstall iOS 7.x. That iOS works...
John Hamann
jemcclure

Post by jemcclure »

Thanks for the update.