Bluetooth 4 question

jayt

Bluetooth 4 question

Post by jayt »

I have a question about bluetooth 4 sensors. Can more than one device connect to one sensor? So in my current set up with a Newton and a Garmin Edge 500 they can both use one speed/cadence sensor. Will the same thing be true of bluetooth 4 based sensors, or will the pairing and operation be like a bluetooth 3 device which is pretty much one to one? So to make it clear, in the future if I have a bluetooth 4 speed/cadence sensor and an iPhone 5 in a Dash case will some other device be able to share the speed/cadence sensor at the same time?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Bluetooth Smart question

Post by Velocomp »

I believe the answer to this question is NO. This is a fundamental difference between ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart Sensors. ANT+ sensors simply broadcast their data and anyone who is looking for the information can receive it. On the other hand, Bluetooth Smart sensors start by broadcasting only information to identify themselves as being "available", and then a pairing connection must be established between the sensor and the device before the real data exchanges can occur. The sensors only permit one active connection at a time, so only one device at a time can receive the data from the sensors.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Re: Bluetooth 4 question

Post by lorduintah »

Bluetooth and ANT+ share the frequency, but utilize different protocols - so they don't talk to each other.

Tom
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I think the question is about the ability of a Bluetooth Smart sensor to pair to more than one bike computer simultaneously. One-to-many pairing is possible with ANT+, but it is not possible with BLS.
John Hamann
jayt

Post by jayt »

Thanks for clearing this up. For me, that makes Bluetooth 4 much less interesting for bike applications. I like the idea of having one sensor that can be used by more than one device. I currently do that with my Newton and Garmin Edge 500. For more "casual" sensing applications Bluetooth 4 makes sense (like a scale or Fitbit).

John, do you think Ant + will survive the Bluetooth 4 onslaught? You voted the Bluetooth 4 way with your new iPhone 5 system. It is hard to fight built in like Bluetooth 4 is. I have read where there are radio chips (since they share the same frequency, but as stated different protocols) that support BOTH Ant + and Bluetooth 4. Have you guys looked at those (would have been great if the Newton could have used one of those)?

Regards,
Jay

PS Ant + is great for tandems (or I even have a triple). One sensor at the rear and each person has their own head unit of choice.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

jayt wrote:Thanks for clearing this up. For me, that makes Bluetooth 4 much less interesting for bike applications. I like the idea of having one sensor that can be used by more than one device. I currently do that with my Newton and Garmin Edge 500. For more "casual" sensing applications Bluetooth 4 makes sense (like a scale or Fitbit).

John, do you think Ant + will survive the Bluetooth 4 onslaught? You voted the Bluetooth 4 way with your new iPhone 5 system. It is hard to fight built in like Bluetooth 4 is. I have read where there are radio chips (since they share the same frequency, but as stated different protocols) that support BOTH Ant + and Bluetooth 4. Have you guys looked at those (would have been great if the Newton could have used one of those)?

Regards,
Jay

PS Ant + is great for tandems (or I even have a triple). One sensor at the rear and each person has their own head unit of choice.
We like both Bluetooth Smart and ANT+, and both have a place.

Over the long haul, it's hard to see how ANT+ will prosper--in a single month more smartphones with BLS are manufactured than the entire number of ANT+ devices created since day one. And in the smartphone world, BLS is much less expensive to implement in third party consumer devices.
John Hamann
jayt

Post by jayt »

Looks like someone HAS solved the Ant+ Bluetooth4 problem, Viiiva, is a heart rate strap that also includes ability to listen to Ant+ and translate to Bluetooth 4. Here is the product page: http://4iiii.com/2012/product-viiiiva/ Its all built in the HR strap (which we all need anyway) and about the price of a strap alone.

John or other Velocomp person, have you guys talked to these folks and tested their solution out with your products? This looks like a great way to "have your cake and eat it too."
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is an HR strap with a combined BTS/ANT+ transmitter chip in it--it transmits both in Bluetooth and ANT+ formats.

We will be seeing more and more of these kinds of devices as time goes by.
John Hamann