temperature sensor bias

ronpei

temperature sensor bias

Post by ronpei »

I had asked this under the Isaac thread but maybe this is the more appropriate place? I agree that the absolute temperature reading recorded in the Newton is not important to the calculations. What I want is to know why I can not seem to get true readings of the temperature that agree with the outdoor temperature when I download my data. It seems the bias is not perfectly linear but in general it records a temperature to the file which is 4-5 degrees C above the reality (yes after it has equilibrated outside even 10-15 minutes into the ride). Can this be dealt with in the device or in Isaac?
thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: temperature sensor bias

Post by Velocomp »

Not at this time.
John Hamann
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

so if I would like to have it read/ record the environmental temperature would the best/ only option be to change my setting in the newton through set up to bias it the amount it is out when it records the temperature? for example if my file gives a reading 4 deg C higher than the actual environmental temp, then go into set up and lower the current reading by 4 deg C? I will be trying this but curious what you think.
thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

In FW 5 we don't offer the option to adjust the temperature bias. But you are correct that adding/subtracting a fixed amount from your reported temperatures is all that is required.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Velocomp wrote:In FW 5 we don't offer the option to adjust the temperature bias. But you are correct that adding/subtracting a fixed amount from your reported temperatures is all that is required.
I am someone who also needs/lacks this feature. I remembered that in FW4 there may have been a menu item in Newton+ where I could set an offset. So I checked the manuals and yes indeed there was an option.

Let me ask that were the elimination of this option together with the manual tilt calibration procedure just the "victims" of the goal of simplification of the set up menu of Newton+?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, these were items eliminated to simplify things. We have no plans to provide any updates to Newton firmware at this time.
John Hamann