'14 data error' message

jkase001

'14 data error' message

Post by jkase001 »

The last two rides with the Newton, I have gotten unrealistic and incorrect wind speed measurements which has led to erroneous power readings. Cadence, speed, distance, etc. seem to be correct and functioning. Another strange reading is the battery reading. It says 0% but unit is powered up and has been for the last couple rides (I charged it as usual prior to these last two rides). When I try to enter setup, the unit freezes up and the display locks and I cannot shut the unit down. Finally, I have done a hard reset after each ride and get the following screen reading '14 data error'. When I click the center button this error message goes away and the screen looks normal.

Any idea what is going on and what I should do? I would think a hard reset should resolve almost anything unless there is is some fatal issue going on.

The unit has been functioning fine up to this point and there has been no significant event (e.g., drop, crash, water) that might have caused this.

Thanks,
Jason

PS - I was able to download some ride files from the most recent ride. There were several files for the same ride for some reason. Attached.
Attachments
iBike_08_06_2013_1807_18_Miles.ibr
(107.31 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
iBike_08_06_2013_1729_9_Miles.ibr
(102.15 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
iBike_08_06_2013_1728_0_Miles.ibr
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
TriBike

Re: '14 data error' message

Post by TriBike »

Please email Technicalsupport@velocomp.com directly regarding this issue. Thanks
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

I'm having the same problem. Newton freezes on several occasion. When I hard reset, the screen display "15 data error" . It goes back to normal screen but power reading and speed is wrong. Eventually, everything freezes again.
DennyS

Post by DennyS »

still-chasing, has your issue been resolved?

I had a several occasions of Newton freezing in last two weeks. Not sure if it is related to the unit, or maybe to the latest 4.08 FW. It started out with freezing during the charging, while connected to USB. Also experienced message "The iBike unit is not responding" during Downloading Ride List, despite unit being on and green USB icon. Took a few attempts do get the ride list to show up.
I had few instances of Newton being frozen in the middle of the ride on different profiles. After rebooting unit (all buttons pressed) and after data setup, I got the "15 data error" message. Downloaded files had 0 length (probably due to not closing file properly), but there is data in there, I guess until the freezing point.

Today, I had another freeze instance while riding, but this time I did not try to reboot Newton. I just let it be. Funny, it un-froze after some time. I could not tell how long of my file is missing, if any, but the clock was 5 min behind the actual time. It looks like not only data collection is frozen, but the whole units, other than display, stops operating.

Please advise if I can do something else other than soft-rebooting, maybe reload the profiles to unit, or do I have a hardware issue?
TriBike

Post by TriBike »

Please contact Tom from iBike. He will help you get up and running.
tgore@velocomp.com
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

Yes. my issue has been resolved. It turned out that the internal battery wasn't holding charge even though the display was showing it has enough charge. It messed up the sensors too somehow. I sent mine back and their great tech support took care of the problem right away.