Profile for a Cyclocross bike?!?!?

rstrom

Profile for a Cyclocross bike?!?!?

Post by rstrom »

Recently I purchased a Trek Ion CX cyclocross bike and I ordered another mount for my iBike Newton+ with the hopes of getting some power readings on this bike.

I have seen some posts about people using the iBike on their mountain bikes successfully but I don't think that I'm getting good readings and would appreciate someone taking a look at the files that I've uploaded and providing any tips and tricks that might help me out with getting this to work properly.

Some background ... I originally did the calibration ride this past Sunday morning. It was a hellishly windy day but I was going on a cross ride with a friend a bit later in the morning and wanted to ride with the iBike and get some power readings. I also knew that I could calibrate again if needed. One caveat to this first calibration is that I am 99% sure that I did not do a wind calibration first (all other calibrations/settings were done).

I thought that the power readings were high on the Sunday ride so I planned on doing another calibration ride.

So I did another calibration ride this afternoon, it was a bit breezy but nothing like Sunday. FYI - the calibration rides have both been done on the road. I chose the rough road setting when doing the quick profile generation process.

So today's ride says that I averaged 201w for an hour twenty two minutes with an average heart rate of 131bpm. I WISH!! I could probably just about do that average power but not with that average HR!

So with no further adieu I am attaching the original calibration ride, the original profile resulting from the quick setup and that calibration ride and the Sunday cross ride. I am also including the calibration ride from today, the profile resulting from that ride, and today's ride.

Any assistance / comments / tips / etc. would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA,

Robert
Attachments
RStrom_Ion_CX_Rides.zip
2/24/2013 & 2/27/2013 Ion CX rides
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 314 times
RStrom_Ion_CX_Cal_Rides.zip
Ion CX Calibration Ride files
(103.32 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
RStrom_IonCX_Profiles.zip
Ion CX Profiles
(864 Bytes) Downloaded 305 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Profile for a Cyclocross bike?!?!?

Post by Velocomp »

Your Newton should work just fine with your cyclocross bike.

The problem is your excessively high Crr of 0.0191. This would be like riding your bike in the sand...

Use a Crr of 0.0054 and your watts will drop to a correct 124.

Corrected profile is attached.
Attachments
Strom-JRH.ibp
(407 Bytes) Downloaded 292 times
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

So why was it excessively high? Any thoughts?

All I did was answer the questions when prompted by the Isaac software and then do the calibration ride.

Where did things go wrong?

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

rstrom wrote:So why was it excessively high? Any thoughts?

All I did was answer the questions when prompted by the Isaac software and then do the calibration ride.

Where did things go wrong?

Thanks,

Robert
Don't know. We will take a look at the setup sequence.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Thanks much - I appreciate that!

Robert
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

So I've plugged in the modified profile that you sent back and ridden a couple of rides using it.

While I agree it's better, I now think that this one is reading / recording too low.

Today I rode 36 miles with about 20 - 22 of that being on the road (to and from my destination). The to and from is mostly flat, but there is about a mile of a gradual climb to get to the trailhead parking lot.

The climb top the trailhead parking lot starts at about 8 miles after about 1.5 miles I hit the trail. So the off road starts at about 9 miles and ends at about 23 miles.

It looks like that puts my off road wattage average at about 106w (Normalized to 148w) with an average HR of 144. It sure seems like I worked a lot harder than that (both on the road and off).

Could you please take a look at my ride file and let me know what you think?

Thank very much,

Robert
Attachments
iBike_03_03_2013_0748_40_Miles.ibr
This is the first ride that I did with the modified profile last Sunday. I though that this one was low too. This one was a weird one. I tried a new trail that had LOTS of sand and I had to do a lot of walking so it may not be the best example, but I'm including it anyway.
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 280 times
iBike_03_09_2013_1217_36_Miles.ibr
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 292 times
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

iBike, wherefore art thou iBike?
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

This one has been more than a month now.

Is no one from iBike monitoring/answering the forums?

Thanks,

Robert
TriBike

Post by TriBike »

Hello,
We now have some pretty advanced features in the Isaac software to allow you to "Check Calibration." If you do a short 4-5mi out and back ride, (not a cal ride) same road, no drafting.. (basically the same parameters as the cal ride). If you load this file to Isaac, go to: ANALYZE-->CHECK CALIBRATION... This is a really effective way to dial in your profile.
donnybike

Post by donnybike »

Does it mean that Issac is updated today?