Newton and rain don't mix

blp

Newton and rain don't mix

Post by blp »

I am still having problems with my Newton. Again today, 10 minutes into the ride, it reset on it's own so that date and time are incorrect. During the wet ride, the power numbers seemed way off. How about max Watt = 118000! At the end of the ride I was soft pedalling, I would guess around 70 -120 W and the Newton was reading in excess of 400W.

Also, during the ride the power was dropped altogether, on the screen at least. The graph in Isaac is distorted by the high wattage so I can't see if it was recording.

This is the second time that rain seems to have stymied the Newton. I live in Vancouver, BC which is simolar to Seattle. I can only assume that the Newton can't be used in damp weather. I am disappointed to say the least as I ride all year.
Attachments
iBike_2012_10_11_0000_92_km.ibr
(238.81 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newton and rain don't mix

Post by Velocomp »

The spike at the beginning is just that...a spike. You can edit this out with the Isaac software.

Your wind sensor got plugged up at about the 40KM mark. If you ride in wet weather often (most people don't...) use the Remote Wind Sensor accessory. This will keep your Newton going, no matter how wet it is outside.
Attachments
Ride file with spike edited out
Ride file with spike edited out
Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 4.44.08 PM.png (516.23 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
How to delete portions of the ride
How to delete portions of the ride
Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 4.43.28 PM.png (179.03 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

Thanks, I'll give the software solution a try and check out the remote sensor.

What about the unit resetiing?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I have yet to find any computer product, from any manufacturer, no matter how big or small, that is immune to glitches.

Well, now that I write this, I suppose that nuclear power plants and airplanes are pretty good...

When we can charge $100 million for our power meters, we will guarantee an equal level of reliability. :D
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

Hee hee. I'll wait for the sale price!

I have a saying, "If you don't ride in the rain in Vancouver, you don't ride".
blp

Post by blp »

Velocomp wrote:The spike at the beginning is just that...a spike. You can edit this out with the Isaac software.

Your wind sensor got plugged up at about the 40KM mark. I
How did you see the plugged port? Is there someting in the data presented in Isaac, in the raw data or simply your experience with these devices?

In the future it would be interesting to know if it was a monster sprint or just a plugged intake port. :-(

Thanks