CRR - iSport - changing road surfaces

aldolibersan

CRR - iSport - changing road surfaces

Post by aldolibersan »

I live in an area where the road often shifts from smooth asphalt to chip seal type roads and then back again. I'm wondering if it is advisable to change the crr while riding when chainging road conditions? Or will the iSport adjust for the changes in road conditions?
coachboyd

Re: CRR - iSport - changing road surfaces

Post by coachboyd »

The difference in crr from smooth to chip seal roads is usually about a .005 to a .006 or so. . .This change is barely noticeable. In fact, when I look at the side by side graphs comparing my iBike to a DFPM I cannot tell where the road conditions change.

If you were to ride on a wet muddy dirt road, then you would see some difference, but as long as you keep it on asphalt you are good to go.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
mds

Post by mds »

With a total rider/equipment weight of about 90kg, a Crr change from .005 to .006 when climbing at 8 mph is about 3 watts and on the flats at 23 mph is about 9 watts. I do get the sense occasionally on fast rough roads that speed drops slightly for the same level of effort. The iSport should read slightly low in such situations but with all the normal fluxuations in power I find it impossible to tell.
aldolibersan

Post by aldolibersan »

Thanks guys.