training

pantani

training

Post by pantani »

After doing the fitness test and working out my zones for training. Have realized that for a long time I have been working too hard on endurance rides.
MultiRider

Re: training

Post by MultiRider »

I've had the same experience using power for training -- my hard days weren't hard enough and my easy / moderate days were too hard. Particularly on windy days when I would strive for the same mph on hills that I usually achieve. My biggest issue is that I live in a very hilly area and it is hard to keep watts down on steep hills, even in a low gear and crawling along. Particularly since I've been really focused on increasing my cadence. I found, from the iBike charts, that I've been riding at 60-65rpm. Trying to get to where 80-90 feels natural. So far, I can do 80-90 comfortably, but if I don't pay attention to cadence, it falls back to 70-75. And when I want to put out big (for me) power, I almost always fall back to 60-65rpm.
Jim Mason
C'dale SuperSix, Specialized Transition, Ibis Mojo, Orbea cx
pantani

Re: training

Post by pantani »

I trained for an iron distance event last year and looking back at my training I was well overtraining and just feeling overcooked when getting home after a 4,5 hour ride. Using power as a training tool seems more user friendly than heart rate whilst cycling.