Longest 20 minutes of my life!

riderofrohan

Longest 20 minutes of my life!

Post by riderofrohan »

So the evolution of my fitness testing goes back to the "CTS" field test in the Chris Carmicheal books. He recommends in his book Ultimate Ride a 3 mile time trial to find heart rate ranges or power ranges. 3 miles is like 7-8 minutes all out for me. He recommends doing two. For power ranges, he recommends subtracting ten percent from the average power instead of the five percent for the twenty minute time trial recommended almost universally today. I rode out to a steady, uninterrupted climb here in the Vegas valley, punched up the fitness test and proceded to suffer. Didn't start out too hard, kept it steady and crushed it in the last three minutes. After letting the oxygen get back to my brain, I rode home, and looked at the numbers. My twenty minute effort minus 5 percent equals exactly my previous 3 mile effort minus 10 percent last year. Are both testing protocols valid? My FTP in March is the same as it was mid season last year! Woo Hoo!! The Ibike has become the best training tool out there. I'm really amazed at what it has become...and I've had so many issues with it... all resolved...I'm so glad to have it dialed in finally and working for me. I trust the numbers now. After much frustration with my first gen III, I upgraded to an IAero so I could use a DFPM with it. Now I'm thinking that DFPM money could buy some sweet wheels...or a new frame, or some components, or...... Cause a dude at level 2 watts per kilogram needs all the help he can get!!!! Maybe next time I'll test as a female just to make myself feel better....