Wireless sensors and the cold

Daveroberts

Wireless sensors and the cold

Post by Daveroberts »

I went out for a ride yesterday when the temp was around 35 F. I'm brand new to the iBike and have a new iPro. I put my bike outside for about 20 mins prior to the ride and got a good battery check but midway through the ride the power output went crazy and the sensors failed. Could that all be temp related?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Wireless sensors and the cold

Post by Velocomp »

It sounds like your iBike battery went bad. That causes crazy numbers.

In cold weather such as yours we recommend putting in a new battery prior to each ride. A new battery will last 2-5 hours in really cold weather. Then, save the "used" battery for spring. When the temperatures warm your battery will come back to life.
John Hamann
iodaniell

Post by iodaniell »

Velocomp wrote:It sounds like your iBike battery went bad. That causes crazy numbers.

In cold weather such as yours we recommend putting in a new battery prior to each ride. A new battery will last 2-5 hours in really cold weather. Then, save the "used" battery for spring. When the temperatures warm your battery will come back to life.
Unfortunately, for someone like me who puts in many more miles than most people, placing a new battery in the iBike for every cold ride because unmanagable, especially since even a small ride like my commute to and from work is enough to make the coin cell "used". I have about 50 coin cells waiting for warmer weather.

So, I've started to resign myself to the fact that I'm not going to ride the GEN III Aero during my weekend century rides, especially one like this:

http://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/20254

...that started at 14 degrees F.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;
cujo

Post by cujo »

I have gotten better results from my batteries.

The key I think is that I keep my batteries inside in the warm part of my house 72 deg. when I am done riding. I also keep my batteries in the fridge when they are new in the package. I have only gone through 5 this winter.

Joey
Dlp Racing