The cold

wellmt

The cold

Post by wellmt »

Hi all

I've noticed on my last couple of rides (at a temp of about 1 degree C) that if the cold causes the battery in the iPro to loose too much voltage the temperature is suddenly reported as something crazy like 27 degrees C and the the wind offset goes off. The first sign that something is wrong is that the power output goes crazy first, it'll start ramping up massively.

I was wondering: When the voltage gets too low e.g. 2.5v, is it only the environmental sensors that get messed up? or does the whole device get confused due to lack of juice to the processor? The power jumps seem to be too big to be just down to the wrong temp and wind?

(I know the advice about changing the battery if less < 2.75 but the battery checked out OK when leaving home)

Thanks
iodaniell

Re: The cold

Post by iodaniell »

I have scads of batteries that check out good at room temperature, but because they aren't fresh, they will not withstand a cold ride.

On the other hand, I've had fresh/brand new batteries last an entire 120 mile (7-9 hours) ride in subfreezing temps.
Last edited by iodaniell on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you had checked your battery voltage once the iBike's temperature had reached 34F, I bet it would have been below 2.75!

The 2.75V recommendation is for warm, summer temperatures.

In winter I'd put in a new battery prior to every ride, especially when the outdoor temperature is 34F.
John Hamann
wellmt

Post by wellmt »

OK thanks.

What settings does the iPro lose if you change the battery (if any)?

i.e. Will I need to re-download profiles, rider information, metric/standard settings or anything else to the iBike after a battery change?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

With a low battery temperature, power, and elevation readings go crazy. All readings stored in the iBike's memory (profile settings, ride data) remain untouched.
John Hamann
rruff

Post by rruff »

Velocomp wrote:In winter I'd put in a new battery prior to every ride, especially when the outdoor temperature is 34F.
Certainly a candidate for the external battery kit...
wellmt

Post by wellmt »

rruff wrote: Certainly a candidate for the external battery kit...
What / where is this external battery kit you mention? Thanks.
rruff

Post by rruff »

Scroll down this page: http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a

Velocomp sells a wired mount kit that allows you to attach an external CR123a lithium battery that should give you great battery life. The hack with copper strips likely won't work with the Gen3 units which fit tighter.
jparker

Post by jparker »

OK I've tested the rechargeable batteries but only in the wireless mount not in the unit because I didn't want to take a chance on frying the computer! The voltage is higher at 3.6v (actually 3.7 to 3.8 when fully charged) for the 2032 rechargeable batteries you can buy online,as I had been told by others on the forum so that's why I used them only in the mount. The reason being is that you get some voltage from the battery in the wireless mount which helps support the voltage in the battery of the computer. When I use the rechargeable battery fully charged in the mount with a new battery in the computer the most voltage I have seen is 340 with no side effects or damage to the computer. I'm not saying it couldn't in some way damage a computer but I have been using this combination for almost a month with no issues. The rechargeable batteries don't last long 4-6 hrs. but that's ok because I can just charge them up in a couple hrs.and they're like new. I will only do this for cold weather riding because warmer weather won't eat the batteries like the cold does and it seems like a great alternative to buying a new battery or having the cold weather wired battery rig just so I can go ride in the cold which is a good bit.
I hope in the future that they come up with a way to better power the iBike, maybe something like what Garmin uses. I know it's a little heavier but would it not be great to be able to download your ride and charge the battery at the same time and not have to change batteries all the time?! Just a thought.

See Freq. asked questions on the forum for details on use of 2032 battery-good stuff!
MultiRider

Post by MultiRider »

Be sure to buy quality batteries. The cheap ones don't have as strong a charge initially and don't hold a charge as well when riding warm or cold (worse in cold). I've had the best luck with the batteries sold from the iBike store.
Jim Mason
C'dale SuperSix, Specialized Transition, Ibis Mojo, Orbea cx
riderofrohan

Post by riderofrohan »

I have to say the cold demising batteries is a frustrating issue. Does it help in the cold to go to a 5 second recording interval? I run a wireless setup and am quickly going through a 20 pack of batteries from Velocomp. I'm only getting about an hour of reliable readings on my gen III and I live in Vegas so its not like I'm riding in freezing temperatures. This morning was in the 40's.

Another question: When changing batteries mid-ride, I know to do a trip reset first, but do you have to do a new tilt calculation as well? I changed my battery half way through my 2 hr ride today and had a tilt of -43 degrees afterwards! I redid the tilt and it worked OK afterwards. So do I need to do a new tilt cal after every battery change with a gen III? I thought one of the cool things about it was not needing to check the tilt all the time.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

riderofrohan wrote:I run a wireless setup and am quickly going through a 20 pack of batteries from Velocomp. I'm only getting about an hour of reliable readings on my gen III and I live in Vegas so its not like I'm riding in freezing temperatures. This morning was in the 40's.
Put two fresh batteries in and let them sit overnight. Now check the batteries the next morning (including the wireless head unit). Something may be draining one of the two so that one is nearly dead hours later. Now the other one has to do the work of two.

I generally get over a week of riding in SoCal with chilly weather. Yesterday's century started at 43 degrees. This morning the same battery is still at 2.94.
Fernando