One mount solution

alienator

One mount solution

Post by alienator »

The stem mount would not fit on my stem as the stem OD was 6-7mm bigger than the mount ID. John sent a handlebar mount. Initially using the handlebar mount was problematic. I tried the included foam gasket, but that provided a less than stable mount. Complicating things, my "OS" bars decrease in diameter quickly from about 5mm outside of the stem faceplate, so iBike wanted to sit tilted to the left and up. The iBike foam gasket was tried where the bars are standard diameter, and as I said it wasn't stable, even with 6 rounds of electrical tape underneath.

I went to Home Despot looking for a solution and found it: high pressure washing machine hose, 7/8" ID x 1" OD. With a 1" long piece, slit once along it's length, it wraps a standard bar, leaving ? ¼" gap. The iBike is able to slightly compress the hose without bottoming out the screws. The rubber hose doesn't slip on the bar, nor does it have any rotational shearing motion like the foam. As a bonus, the hose is black. On my bars it works out that my brake and shfiter housings on that side fit in the gap between the ends of the hose and the iBike clamp. It would be dead easy, if someone wanted to mark the hose where it contacts the iBike clamp and cut off anything exposed outside the clamp. One of those Dremel scroll saws would be perfect for that. One foot of that hose cost $2.50.
Be an organ donor. When you're dead, you won't need 'em.