How Tough is Newton?

KenS

How Tough is Newton?

Post by KenS »

In case you aren't willing to try the experiment I found out just how tough the Newton is on my recent bike tour in the Australian high country when I came off my fully loaded touring bike on a remote dirt road.
Newton was mounted on the new forward mount and took a hit. The mount was bent about 5 degrees and Newton suffered from some gravel rash. Tilt was out for a few minutes but the auto correction kicked in and all was well after that. The wind cal would have been affected by the bend in the mount but at the speeds we were travelling that was no problem.
So there you have it. Newton is pretty tough.

Pics showing the bent mount (compression marks visible around the bolt hole) and scratched Newton
Bent forward mount
Bent forward mount
DSC00427.JPG (194.77 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
Newton with Gravel Rash
Newton with Gravel Rash
DSC00429.JPG (205.28 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
-- Ken
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: How Tough is Newton?

Post by Velocomp »

Great story!

Most likely your wind cal remained just fine.

I wonder how pedal power meters would hold up under that kind of crash. For that matter I wonder how well the conventional plastic mounts used by Garmin would have withstood the bang...
John Hamann
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

I don't know. I still want to see how well it stands up to Danny Hart using it for a season. ;)

Great and helpful story, btw. How rough have the roads you were on been. I am more interested in constant small vibrations. My gen III has held up fine, and I expect no less from the Newton, but you always wonder about these things. A little less wondering now.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
KenS

Post by KenS »

The unpaved roads we used were generally not rough in terms of pot holes and the like but they had corrugations and various sized pieces of stone mixed in with the gravel so constant small vibrations were the order of the day.
The attached photo is from a rail trail section and is pretty typical of the unpaved sections we rode. Some better, some worse.
Typical unpaved surface
Typical unpaved surface
IONX0407.jpg (972.24 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
-- Ken
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Ah, perfect. Thank you! Looks like an awesome trip.

Yeah, that would be a perfect marketing stunt. Put a DFPM and an Newton on a DH or even better an Enduro rider's bike for a season and see what's what at the end. :) MAN, if iBike could claim their PM was Enduro?!!! Dude, they'd sell out in 2 seconds flat. :D
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged