iBike Newton data management

ronpei

iBike Newton data management

Post by ronpei »

Hi Guys,
just wondering if there is a technical reason that iBike does not have an internal data management protocol in the Newton similar to the Garmin 305 (that is the one I know about), I also have an old datalogger I use in my work that has the same option, I check a box whether I want it to stop when full or just keep rolling, where the oldest data is deleted when the memory is filled with new data, so you never have to erase all of your files. It is just a rolling memory. I have had these units for many years and never had to worry about the memory limit. Is this sort of data management possible in the Newton firm ware? It certainly would be nice for the options that take a lot of memory.
FirmwareGuy

Re: iBike Newton data management

Post by FirmwareGuy »

Hello,

This is certainly something we can entertain for the next product. However, the current file system would have to be completely gutted and re-written to support this sort of interface. The system we currently have dates back to the very first iBike power meter introduced several years ago and assumes memory fills from the beginning and stops at the end. No wrap-around capability was ever designed in nor was there any allowance made for partial memory erase.
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

Sorry to hear it has to be that far down the line but anyhow nice to hear you may consider this option. Because obviously I do not know your firmware and data management issues I thought it might be a simple firmware update, drat!
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I do have to ask why anyone would keep accumulating data in the iBike. It's not like you can review history or recall any previous stats. It's sole purpose is to record data and allow it to be downloaded into whatever program one uses to track metrics. Even Isaac doesn't have this purpose so I don't see why Newton would either.

I realize each person has different preferences, but I download and erase after every ride so I never have to be concerned about running out of memory. I can't even fathom how upset I would be at myself for losing data because I hadn't cleared memory since all it is a check box upon download.
Fernando
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

The point in my mind is that it is a no brainer with the garmin memory management system... you do not have to choose and it maintains the latest data always and the oldest gets erased. So instead of having to choose to delete after download or manually erasing data, it simply trudges on year after year with no user input needed and you never run out of memory or loose data. For instance, if you erase a file after download, and for some odd reason you loose it on your computer or it gets corrupted, you simply redo the down load again, it is still in the unit for a fair period of time. So it is brain dead simple for those of us who do not trust that every download will go well enough to erase after downloading. I guess it is just a simple matter of preference, and from what I understand (but I am no expert) it is how most of the data devices work that are out there.
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

ronpei wrote:... a no brainer with the garmin memory management system...
Ah yes, Garmin memory management - the Achilles heel of Garmin devices :twisted:
On the 305 devices, more than 1000 lappoints and history will NOT be saved and there are only 13000 trackpoints before activity overwrite.
On usb file system devices (500/800/...), too many retained activity files causes corruption of the device file system. See all these Garmin Forum posts (38 pages today) for example. https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... post209090
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

hmmm, I guess I have not had or at least not recognised that problem, until maybe this last weekend, it was recording data and for some reason was not separating the daily rides so I seem to have lost data, but that could have been also because I did not reset at the end of each day? Garmin 305 does have a few quirks admittedly but the idea of a rolling memory is better than a stoppage when full I would think. I am on my second forerunner 305, the first was pre-ordered, and so far I have not had any complaint with how it deals with the memory fill and rewriting algorithm. So maybe no better or worse just different.