Just Showing Off

heith

Just Showing Off

Post by heith »

I was bored today and realized how I really like the K-Edge mount for garmin.
So I made an adapter to the K-edge mount to accept my Newton.
racerfern

Re: Just Showing Off

Post by racerfern »

A friend of mine made me a couple of mounts that attached to the stem bolts and put Newton in the same place. To be honest, I had far too much vibration (I can prove it) even though it was a very strong and stiff bracket... in addition the Newton didn't do well with crosswinds as opposed to being up on the stem or bars.

I was disappointed because it's a great location but I think that out on a limb is not the best of choices. So Newton sits on the stem with the dual fit mount.
Fernando
heith

Post by heith »

I'll test a few rides and see how it reacts, I'll post results after a few rides. But it will take a while because a lot of my time is on the trainer now. So nobody hold their breath.
I actually like the steering tube mount for the Newton so it wouldn't be a big deal to use it.
I was really worried about slope changed when out of the saddle putting weight on the front end and front end flex. The farther you are from the steer tube the more the slightest flex matters. I'll probably move it back.

Was the mount you had used with the newer OS? If not, I wonder if the new stuff will help.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The mount was used with the older OS, however tilt calculations have not changed so I expect to see the same results with OS2.

I could watch as my effort was steady and the power would drop gradually as I went harder and harder, then it would increase gradually as I eased off more and more, all based on the accelerometer calculations so it was difficult to hold a steady wattage. The overall average was spot on but if you're doing steady state efforts you find yourself chasing numbers. Not fun. To confirm I could watch the slope fall, then climb even as I rode on a perfectly level road at the top of a local dam. It was exacerbated by the relatively rough road surface.

As soon as I moved it to the stem the problems ended.
Fernando
heith

Post by heith »

Well, I can put a tri-pod screw through it and use the tri-pod GoPro mount to make a video for my virtual trainer. I was so proud too. :?