Incorrect mileage numbers?

velobob

Incorrect mileage numbers?

Post by velobob »

I recently updated to the current firmware for my Aero. Since then I have noted that the bike unit incorrectly reports ride distance - crazy numbers 100 miles greater than actual distance. The ride files, however, are correct except for the file name, which reports same distance number as displayed on the unit. Is this a firmware glitch?
lorduintah

Re: Incorrect mileage numbers?

Post by lorduintah »

Have you checked your wheel circumference?

Tom
doofus

Post by doofus »

same issue here

97 miles for this ride?

also, when I tried to adjust FTP up in my profile, it said that there was no height entered, and would not send the profile to the unit
Attachments
iBike_03_27_2010_1444_97_Miles.csv
(414.87 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Doofus: I looked at your ride file. On my iBike software it shows you did a 56 mile ride, not 96 miles.

We'll check in to the ride file length issue.

Your iBike is well calibrated to your DFPM; the two PMs are within 0.5% of each other.
John Hamann
doofus

Post by doofus »

john --

boyd did an awesome job editing the profile to get the two PMs dialed in

my concern was whatever glitch was going on with the profile when I changed the FTP to 355 and tried to send it to the iBike -- the dialogue box came up that the rider height value was 0, then another box came up that said the profile would not be sent to the iBike because a value was outside the parameters. I changed FTP six weeks ago (from 340 to 350), sucessfully sent it to the iBike, and didn't have that problem.

was it the new firmware?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We will look in to this.
John Hamann
jjayxxxx

Post by jjayxxxx »

I am having this exact problem. In fact yesterday it occurred when I stopped for a break after about 30 miles. The mileage read something like 175 miles. Then the next time I looked, not 5 seconds later, it read over 300 miles (it might have been exactly double, but I can't remember the number for sure). I didn't do anything to any settings or anything, it just changed all on its own. The average mph reading (while on the bike) was way too high as well. When I got home and reviewed the data everything seemed correct with the exception of the mileage number included in the filename.

The problem seems infrequent (it has only happened 3 or 4 times) but it can be a hassle in unfamiliar territory as it throws cue sheets all off.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I've had this happen twice. Both times was potholes so big that the unit was almost knocked off the mount. You may be losing contact very briefly and corrupting the data stream.
Fernando
jjayxxxx

Post by jjayxxxx »

My latest case definitely wasn't a pothole. I was stopped for a break when I noticed the first wrong mileage reading. And the second incorrect reading (the one that was about double that again) occurred while standing next to my bike. I did happen to be moving the bike around a bit, so perhaps it is related to starting/stopping or something? FWIW.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

One more thing I had forgotten about is if the iBike or its sensors have gone to sleep, I spin the wheel to wake the sensor up but I never get on and start riding and let the iBike find the sensors. This caused crazy numbers twice. I do think there is an issue there but haven't been able to narrow it down to the point of "failure". So I spin the wheel or the crank, hit the center button and wait for SPCD, HR found before riding away.
Fernando
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

jjayxxxx wrote:...it occurred when I stopped for a break after about 30 miles. The mileage read something like 175 miles. Then the next time I looked, not 5 seconds later, it read over 300 miles...
Not likely to produce an extra 125 miles in 5 seconds, but
I know with the Garmin wheel sensor (gsc-10), that if you stop with the magnet near the sensor, you can trigger high speed (extra distance) just by reed switch jitter. For long stops, I make sure magnet is away from sensor.
Good idea for bike storage also, since magnet over sensor on storage can drain gsc-10's battery.
jjayxxxx

Post by jjayxxxx »

It occurred again this weekend, this time I was paying a little more attention...

I stopped for a break. I made sure the magnet on the spoke was nowhere near the sensor. The mileage reading was approximately 62.5 miles. I went to get water, etc.

I returned to my bike after probably about 6 or 7 minutes and the mileage now shows 147.5 miles. An extra 85 miles. The bike has not moved (or more literally, has not "rolled", as I had to pick it up since it was laying sideways on the grass) so the magnet is again nowhere near the sensor.

Now, if only the miles could actually be accomplished this effortlessly I would be a very happy camper indeed! ;-)

I have the iAero model with all the wireless components, so perhaps it could be a low battery issue in one of the wireless units (speed, cadence, etc.)?

A possible workaround would be to add the ability to manually change your trip odometer mileage. This would solve the issue of wrong mileage for reading a cue sheet, and for that matter, the incorrect average speed reading too. I have no idea how easy to do this (or maybe it already exists?) but just a suggestion.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I had it happen once and the situation went like this: The sensors had gone to sleep and I started to ride away before the ibike had found the sensors upon activation. So now I spin the wheel and crank and let the ibike find the sensors before actually riding away. I think it has something to do with both the speed and cadence sensors active (clicking away) as you re-pair. Anyways, it hasn't happened since.

My previous posting about magnet distance was not for when you stop but rather actually move the magnet ever so slightly to eliminate the possibility of double hits.

Even though the mileage number is skewed on the display and the ride file name, the data in the file is correct. You'll have to do a little math during a ride should this happen.
Fernando