IBike Gen III Mounting

Ferg

IBike Gen III Mounting

Post by Ferg »

It says on the webpage that the new Gen III has an "improved mounting system for better lock-in".

Will the new Gen III mount on the Gen II wireless mounts, or will I have to replace them?

Ferg
lorduintah

Re: IBike Gen III Mounting

Post by lorduintah »

No need for any new mount. The Gen III will fit "snugly" into the wireless socket - you may find a little lubricant on the Gen III to help as it is quite snug!

Tom Anderson
Lorraine

Post by Lorraine »

I agree the Gen III iAero fits nice and snug (but not too tight) on the wireless adaptor on the bike, but has anyone had any problems with the USB connection? I was unable to get it to connect when I first received it on Tuesday this week - I'd installed the new version of the Software previously and the Gen II unit was connecting quite happily. In the end, I connected the Gen II unit, cancelled that and then put the Gen III unit on and I got a connection, so was able to upload my profile etc. I have not been able to get a connection with the Gen III unit on its own at all, am having to put the Gen II unit on, once its connected swap them over and the Gen III will connect so I can download files. Its so tight to get on the USB adaptor, that with arthritis in the base of my Left Thumb I can barely get it off once finished and my hand is suffering big time!
The Gen III unit is working perfectly other than with the USB connection .
Lorraine
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Would you believe that I haven't even seen the GenIII unit in the production case yet? John is so committed to getting units out to paying customers that I don't get one until he catches up with the orders

Anyway, it shouldn't be so tough to get onto the USB mount but someone who actually has the production unit is going to have to chime in here.
R Mc

Post by R Mc »

The g3 unit DOES fit on my usb mount. It is more snug, and the trick seems to be that the mounting tabs need to be lined up precisely with the cut-outs on the mount. What's different is that the g3 drops down over the mount slightly before twisting onto the mount. If you're not letting the unit drop down onto the mount, I can see where you'd have difficulties.
Foothills Rider

Post by Foothills Rider »

Lorraine, I have had some of the same frustrations. "Snug" doesn't quite define how much effort goes into getting it aligned and fit onto the mount.It usually takes me a good 3-4 minutes to get everything lined up. But, I have always been successful after the effort. There is also a fair amount of exertion that accompanies getting the GenIII off the mount after data transfer. I'm afraid of damaging the unit or the mount. I think the idea of the lubricant on this post may help.

Bill
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

The gen3 does fit very snug on the USB mount - at first. The units are now shipping with what looks like a small bit of lubrication on the o-ring on the battery cover. This is actually dielectric silicone, it's a waterproof grease like material that actually promotes conductivity, it makes the electric connection better. If you think the USB mount is fitting tight on your gen3, head down to Auto Zone or your choice and get a small tube of dielectric silicone. It will be about 5 bucks or so and the tube should last for the life of your iBike. After the first few times putting the unit on the USB connection, it should go on a lot easier.

This trick will also increase your iBike's performance in raining conditions.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
Lorraine

Post by Lorraine »

Have to agree with Bill - sounds like he is having similar problems to me, but will try and get some lubricant - hopefully they have something similar here in Perth. The Gen III has been on and off the USB mount at least daily since Tuesday, plus a few other attempts, but my hand is going to give out before the unit, when attempting to get it off.
Russ

Post by Russ »

For those with arthritis, a suggestion might be to buy a bottom clamp for handlebar mount from the iBike store for $5.00 and mount the USB adapter on a piece of dowel rod, sand the ends smooth and use it for a handle to hold while turning the iBike on the adapter.

Russ
nreimche

Post by nreimche »

Or do finger, wrist, and/or arm exercises to help do the twisting, lol!
"The vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent."~Dr. Phil on the Tonight Show. John Nash(A beautiful mind) remarried, went back to work, etc. Flying Scottsman was Bipolar(like schizophrenia). myspace.com/ask_about_schizophrenia
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

A little silicone lubricant under the iBike, near the joints where the iBike fastens to the mount, will do the trick.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Don't get very pushy trying to get the GenIII onto either a wireless or the USB mount - snug is an understatement and may very well lead to cracking the case or mount area on the GenIII. This might be a knock on this part of the design change.

I think lubrication is almost mandatory - if you can find the silicone lube or even something with some teflon - how about chain lubricant???? The whole issue may improve with time - a dozen or so on/off cycles - but I'd keep it lubricated for maybe even months.

Tom
Lorraine

Post by Lorraine »

I managed to get some silicone lubricant today and used it this evening when downloading my ride. Its a definite improvement when removing the Gen III unit, so my hand might last a little longer ;) It even connected first time to down load the ride - Thanks guys for your suggestions.