Newbie Rant

Derath

Newbie Rant

Post by Derath »

Sorry everyone. And thanks in advance for letting me rant.

Now, this isn't against Velocomp, they have been great. Nor is it really about the iAero exactly. Just my overall frustration.

So from the beginning.

I got my iAero like 1.5 weeks or so ago. It took me a couple days to get everything setup, at which point I couldn't get anything paired. After some great troubleshooting on the forums here I contacted velocomp, who promptly told me a new mount was on the way (shipped out on saturday no less, great service). So I was extra excited when the package arrived on monday, only for my hopes to be dasked. A USB cable was sent accidentally (I had contacted John earlier about a USB driver issue she probably misunderstood).

So I contacted John, who promptly sent out a new wireless mount that day (again great service). I got the new mount on wednesday and it worked perfectly. YAY

So yesterday was to be the big day. I was going to get my CD and 4 mile ride done and get this thing set so I can start using it.

Of course as I went outside yesterday, out of nowhere the wind had picked up (it had been nice and calm earlier). So that didn't help. I figured I would try anyhow. I did 4-5 CD's and they "seemed" ok based off of the "did I get a good coastdown" setion of the tips. I had a bunch of issues finding a good stretch to do these on so that was annoying.

So off to the ride. I started riding down the road. After a mile or so I didn't see anything on the "trip" section of the ibike, so I thought "crap, did I need to press start? I don't remember from the manual". I am used to hitting start with my Garmin edge. So I started hitting buttons to see if I could get a mileage readout to verify the ride was working. Instead i got a "subtrip" message. Subtrip!!??? I didn't want that. I figured out how to stop the subtrip, so I figured I would do another trip reset and try again. Same stuff.

At this point I said F**K it. It was 95deg. I was hot and frustrated. So I just rode. I had to ride to meet the family at a friends house anyhow. So I did my ride, got off the bike at their house, and jumped in their pool.

So basically I am over a month from when the iAero was ordered and still don't really have it working. I am sure I am not the only one with a rocky start (the UI does have a learning curve) and I really wish I had printed the calibration part of the manual.

Oh well. I will try again today.

-D
racerfern

Re: Newbie Rant

Post by racerfern »

I have no idea what the problem may be but a pre-ride check might eliminate some issues:

1) Do a tilt and wind calibration before the ride once the unit is acclimated to outside temp.
2) Before riding off, make sure you have your HR strap on and spin your rear wheel to activate the sensor. Press the center button and make sure you get confirmation message of HR and SPCD found.
3) I always ride off on the "time" screen not on the power screen. That way as I pull away, I see that first second tick off and I know I'm good to go.

I know these are real basic things but your message doesn't indicate exactly what data if any you were getting. Yes the UI is different and takes a little getting used to. However, if you didn't collect data that is another issue.
Fernando
iodaniell

Post by iodaniell »

My procedure is almost identical to Fenando's--tilt, wind offset, activate all sensors, get confirmation from iBike that it has found all sensors, ride.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;
Derath

Post by Derath »

Fernando.

Thanks. I am sure it was user error.

I did the tilt and wind offset and that was good. I was at least able to see the tilt was pretty in line with the Garmin. cadence and HR worked fine. and when I got back I had the ride on the system and downloaded to the computer. So I have data. And I have my coast downs. I just don't know if they are any good. I am not used to power but my power numbers "seem" high, cause I know I am in crappy shape.

Either way, the unit is fine. It is 99% user error stuff. Just been a frustrating few weeks with the bad hardware out of the box and a busy schedule on my part. I will have to spend some time with the unit and the software and really practice navigating the screens. I couldn't find a "time" screen. But arguably while riding is not the best time to practice finding the screens.

And mostly when I finally was able to do some calibration the wind decided to kick into high gear.

-D
Derath

Post by Derath »

Ok, i just finished reading through the manual again while having the ibike in my hand. Now I understand the screens. Of course I feel more stupid too. All i needed to do was hit the center button once more and I would have seen the trip mileage.

Oh well. Yesterday was a bit too blustery for good coast downs anyhow. I will have to try again.

Hey Noracer, where did you do your coastdowns? B&A trail is prolly the best overall I guess.

-D
iodaniell

Post by iodaniell »

Derath wrote:Ok, i just finished reading through the manual again while having the ibike in my hand. Now I understand the screens. Of course I feel more stupid too. All i needed to do was hit the center button once more and I would have seen the trip mileage.

Oh well. Yesterday was a bit too blustery for good coast downs anyhow. I will have to try again.

Hey Noracer, where did you do your coastdowns? B&A trail is prolly the best overall I guess.

-D
Yes, that's where I did mine... in an area that is lined with trees and has a slight incline. I used the ride to the location as time for the unit to acclimate, then once at the spot I reset tilt and wind offset, did 10-12 CDs followed by a 2 mile ride towards Annapolis, then returning the same way.

Make sure you do your out & back ride in the same riding position you did your CDs in.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;